Thread: Small River Muskies

Small River Muskies

Although my Musky fishing has been in lakes the past decade or so, I cut my 'Musky teeth' in some rivers back in West Virginia as a younger man. A few were pretty good sized rivers, like the Kanawha and the Ohio. But a number of them were actually pretty small. The fish tended to run in the upper thirties to low forties, but they were hard fighters. In several ways small river fishing is a different experience than lake fishing. I may try it somewhere this year.

Just curious how many of you guys have tried that, or if it's something you do during a fishing season?

RE: Small River Muskies

i myself cut my teeth on small river musky in west virginia. it truly is a different expirience, little jon boat and trolling motor. I also fish lakes such as cave run and lake st clair. the musky in the small rivers are certainly less conditioned, and the solitude is great. I like both. ultimately i think u can catch fish 3 to 1 in these small rivers ( i call them creeks) compared to pressured lakes, and some have some large specimens. I like both, wherever the hot bite is, for instance if these small rivers stayed clear which most dont, and you fished them hard you could put up some special numbers but average size would be smaller.

They just had an episode on "small river muskies" on yesterdays Angling Edge with James Linder, it was a good show, different at least from the normal musky show watching then jump out and work the boat down some small rapids.

Most of the musky fishing in North Carolina centers around river fishing where you can cast all the way across the river. These include the New, Catawba, Nolichuky, and the French Broad. They are just a special place to fish away from the crowd. My largest musky was a 33 pounder from the Catawba River in 06. I couldn't revive this musky so I donated it to the NC Wildlife Department for research. They told me it was between 6-8 years old. Musky Glenn

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...enns332cha.jpg

I have been fishing small rivers more and more. Some great opportunities!

What techniques are you guys using? I have found that the current and large amount of downed timber can cause havoc on my normal go to techniques.

So what are the most efficient techniques when you can toss all the way across the river, bank to bank?

Nail A Pig!

Mike

e RE: Small River Muskies

Anyone know the name of the River Linder and Jeremy were fishing this weekend and care to share? pm me if you'd like...I'd be intrested in some small river MN Muskie action. Pretty sure that wasnt the ST Louis.

Thanks

VD.

e RE: Small River Muskies

I grew up fishing the WI river. I loved it and still do. Rivers are a great place to switch it up a little. Especially if your in a slump. River fish don't seem to be as affected by the weather, i.e, cold fronts, heat, dead flat calm. Also around here (Northern WI) you could die of loneliness fishing the river for muskies. Also it's the only place you can troll around here. Yeah, there are alot of small fish in rivers, but, all big fish were small at one time. :9