Thread: Do you think ...

Do you think ...

...the trend for buck tails will continue the get bigger ie #11 blades #12 blades or do you think it's reached the top? Thanks for your answers

It seems to me more ppl have been catching more muskies on smaller bucktails the last couple years. Used to only hear about double 10's, 12's & 13's, but lately the double 6, 7, 8, & 9's are getting more mention. It could be more fish on smaller blades, or maybe just more ppl talking about smaller blades. It might take a year or 2, but the M I 'Lunge log would be a good place to do some research.

I've used a lot of 12s and 13s over the years and I don't think they're more special than 10s, so don't knock yourself out. They're also more difficult to cast because of more wind resistance.

However, a 12 or 13 can be super-effective when you go back to try to catch a big fish that followed a 10 but wouldn't eat it. It's different, yet similar, and often is all it takes to get the fish to bite.

Here's a trick -- rather than building or buying your 12 or 13 on a longer shaft, simply build or have your lure customized so the larger blades are on bait that would otherwise be the length of a conventional 10. It's easier to cast and the fish don't seem to notice. I've often taken the front end of a Mepps H210 and rebuilt it with larger blades.

One caveat to all of the above ... trollers love big profiles, and trolling a Trolling Girl or similar big blade/long profile bait can be very effective.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Bigger blades have been out awhile and have not taken over. They have alot more drag and I suspect that is one reason they have not gained the traction of a 10.

This will sound a bit like "out in left field," but I believe the metal used for the blade and thickness of the blade can "Trump" the size of the blade...or the shape. Sure, I'm the junkman and very into the metal side of things, but the brass blades (especially the nickel-silver ones) have the most Thump in the Trump, and in this election year....well, give it a try for yourself! Secret hint: if the blades stick to a magnet--they are not brass!

After the first year that 10’s came out I had the idea to try even bigger and built some 12’s. I had my best year ever in Canada that year. After that year, they have never seemed to out produce the 10’s, so I went away from them. Like Steve said, I do try them (13’s too) if I know of a big fish or just have a feeling on a known big fish spot. So, my answer is that they have been around a long time and I don’t think they will suddenly gain ground and take over 10’s. I’m so tired of so many follows the last couple years on 10’s (I think due to educated fish), I have started going down in size and even burning single bladed bucktails. I seem to get more action, but maybe not as many large ones?

Thanks guys I really appreciate the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by junkman View Post
    This will sound a bit like "out in left field," but I believe the metal used for the blade and thickness of the blade can "Trump" the size of the blade...or the shape. Sure, I'm the junkman and very into the metal side of things, but the brass blades (especially the nickel-silver ones) have the most Thump in the Trump, and in this election year....well, give it a try for yourself! Secret hint: if the blades stick to a magnet--they are not brass!
    Marty,

Do you like .025 or .040 thickness blades? I've caught fish with both, but wonder what you prefer.