Thread: Melton Hill

Melton Hill

Wondering if any of you guys have fished Melton Hill? I've read about it and have seen the show on it........ But is it good right now in February? Where do you recommend staying there that will take a boat?

Cory Allen guided a client to a 54-incher last January ... that would be good enough for me!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

http://meltonhillbill.com/

Billy Davis is the only one I know down there, maybe check with him? m

Late February the muskies start to get more active, and that continues through April. Any time the hot hole is running (electric power generation); there is an increase in fish activity in that general area. However, there never seems to be a regular schedule for electric power generation. Fishing continues to get better until the lake level is lowered for two weeks in mid-March.
    The drawdown slows fishing down, but deep trees in coves still produce muskies. As the lake level rises after the drawdown the fishing picks up and fish again are locating more along the river channel. Fish trees and weed edges both along the banks and the areas adjacent to the river channel. Trolling the deeper river edges is effective and fairly easy, but not as much fun as casting.
    Bigger rattle baits work well in all areas as do bigger twitch baits. A nine inch Granma is an excellent choice for casting the trees as well as the edges of deeper water. It is a fairly small lake area that holds most of the muskies during the winter and spring.
    There are several motels on Illinois Ave in Oak Ridge. The Holiday Inn has plenty of room for boats, and there is electric power.
    I would recommend Billy Davis over all other guides. He has fished the lake much longer than any other guide, and he has great success. He also fishes for really big stripers which make the muskies look and feel like little bluegills. I was shocked to feel the power of every striper I caught.
    Good Luck

thank you guys!