Thread: Questions for Bob Turgeon

Questions for Bob Turgeon

Bob,

Thank you for the excellent article in the newest issue of Musky Hunter entitled "The Matter of Hooks". There is considerable wisdom in your article. I became a believer in bigger hook sizes several years ago when I had a giant eat a Mepps Musky Killer on a figure 8. The relatively small treble hook just didn't have a big enough gap to get embedded into this particular fish. That fish still haunts me to this day.

You mentioned in your article that you often upgrade the split ring when changing out components on your lures. What brands/sizes split rings do you prefer? I like the Wolverine triple loop split rings, but find they often do not fit in the eye of ordinary sizes hooks or the hook hanger of many lure's. I am presently using Joe Bucher's #7 split rings.

Where have you found the larger sizes of treble hooks that you mentioned? Most stores that I frequent sell hooks topping out at 5/0 and sometimes 7/0. I don't recall ever seeing anything larger than 7/0 at Rollie & Helen's.

What size shrink wrap do you use? I think that I am presently using size 3/8 inch or so, which seems to work okay.

I have a suggestion for a possible future article. Could you expand your current article to discuss a "kit" that could be kept in the boat to address hook replacement on lures? I am referring to situations where hooks get mangled or cut. Obviously, the hooks that you mention in your current article would be cornerstones in such a kit. I was wondering more along the lines of replacement hooks for popular gliders, twitch baits, etc. where hook model and size can be important in the action of the lure.

Again, job well done in your current article.

Good fishing and tight lines!!

Thanks for the compliments...I too have a few stories also about loosing fish on lures with hooks with too small a gap. Fortunatly those are all in the past and rarely does a fish not get pinned well with the right sized hooks on a lure.

Re your questions:

I also like the wolverine split rings but also have the same problem with some hook eye and attachment hardware hole sizes. Primarily I use the Worth and Bucher rings in an appropriate size for the task.

Larger hooks are always available at Thorne Bros. Check them out online if your not from the area. They stock up to 10/0 plus a few stupid big sizes in-case you want to snag alligators down south.

Like you I use 3/8" shrink wrap, it is the size most bucktail and topwater tail prop makers use. If you can find it in bulk rolls it gets really affordable.

The article concept actually started as a Hook Kit box discussion and morphed into what was published. If you keep a bunch of 7/0 to 9/0 std styles and 2/0 and 3/0 wide gap round bends on hand you should be able to rebuild any mangled cut off hooks. The wide gaps work great on gliders, twitchers and cranks. Some split rings, shrink tube and a heat source and your 95% there for a repair box.

Thanks again for your feedback, I hope the article puts more fish IN your net !

Bob,

Many kind thanks for the follow-up comments. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something in terms of equipment. I'm always on the watch-out for better ways of doing the things that I like to do. I have no problem taking advantage of the wisdom and experiences of well-respected fisherman such as yourself.

I will check out Thorne Brothers for the larger size hooks. I will be tying some new in-line bucktails in the next month or so. I will give the larger hooks a try.

Again - another very good article. Keep them coming!

Kindest regards....