Thread: Jerkbait Rod Size?

Jerkbait Rod Size?

What Rod you picking up to toss your gliders and jerks this year??

8'6" usually. Sometimes go 7'6" for true gliders.

Quote Originally Posted by MuskyMatt85 View Post
    What Rod you picking up to toss your gliders and jerks this year??
    Depends on the size, weight and action of the bait. Mostly I use an 8 foot heavy action rod built with the MI 2-10 oz blank, which I've found pretty good for most jerk baits, such as 9-10 inch Suicks. I couple it with a Daiwa Lexa 300 with 7.1:1 gearing, and 100 lb test Stealth. It's a very good combo, featuring light weight and plenty of backbone and tip stiffness.

For 12 inch Suicks I've been using a big rubber rod I purchased a couple of years ago from James. (TI) I've cut it down to about 7', 7". It's based on his XH blank, but is very stiff in the tip due to being shortened. For my reel I use a Daiwa Lexa 400 with 6.3:1 gearing. This combo is quite a bit heavier, but I still prefer it for the 12 inch Suick.

I've found that more options are generally better. You can attempt to pick a single, perfect combo, but I sincerely doubt there is any such thing available. My point being that I'm sure there are better specialized combos out there for mini jerk baits too.
    Last edited by BLL_BIGFISH; 01-17-2016 at 10:17 PM. Reason: add

7-6 St. Croix Legend Tournament "The Jerk" for gliders and WTD topwaters. Rod type isn't as critical for divers (Suicks and Bobbies), and a good crankbait rod will suffice. Any of the Legend Tournament 8-6 Sling Blade or 9-0 Big Nasty, or the 8-6 or 9-0 heavy Legend Elite series rods would be my choice.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I am sure I am not the norm here, but I use a G Loomis 6'10" rod for all my jerkbait and glider needs. I just find it a lot more comfortable fishing a shorter, lighter rod than trying to work a 8 or 9 ft. rod all day with quick jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Craft Man View Post
    I am sure I am not the norm here, but I use a G Loomis 6'10" rod for all my jerkbait and glider needs. I just find it a lot more comfortable fishing a shorter, lighter rod than trying to work a 8 or 9 ft. rod all day with quick jerks.
    I fish primarily with soft tugs.... guess I am a "tug bait" guy, not a "jerk bait" guy. I find gliders a lot more work... probably because I haven't practiced enough, although some glider baits are a lot easier than others.

I use two different rods when fishing jerk baits. The rods are much like Steve Heiting's and Lucky Craft's recommendations above.

I use the St. Croix "The Jerk" when I fish from the casting platform of my personal boat. I like the way this rod feels in my hands, works my baits and handles fishes. It is just the right length in terms of not slapping the water with the rod tip.

However, when I fish from a rental boat at a fishing lodge in Canada, I find that I am much closer to the water. I then switch to the shorter St. Croix "Classic Jerk" as this rod is just the right length so that I don't slap the water with my rod tip. This shorter rods shares the same attributes as "The Jerk".

They are both incredible jerk bait rods. Good fishing and tight lines!!