Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Simple Truth?

The Simple Truth?

I was watching Lindner’s Angling Edge Show and he said something that really surprised me and really opened my eyes. It was at the end of the show when he likes to reflect (I get my church in for the week) and he said that in his 40+ years of serious fishing he has come to realize that every week’s fishing will have 2 really good days, 3 average days and 2 poor days, period. Forget moon phase, weather changes, etc. Now, he was talking about bass fishing and typical summer time fishing. But, it made me think about my 15 years of musky fishing for a week on LOTW and I realized that pretty much summed up every year. Now, there are fewer muskies than bass, so the equation may be a bit different as more fish will be affected at once. So, maybe it’s 1.5 really good days, 2.5 average days and 3 poor days?

First it opened my eyes to the fact that you can only affect so much by the way you fish. It also made me realize its best to just keep things simple and not over think everything on the water. Also, it really makes you think about the times you have one day to fish in a given week. The odds are not with you! What do you guys think?

Wow, I guess its not me after all!!

I’ve kept a log over the past two years and I’ve definitely had more success on strong moon phase days. In fact my three largest muskies over the past two years have actually come either on the exact full or new moon day. Now I’ve also planned days off from work to fish around the peak moon phase so that accounts for some of the success I’ve had, but I also fish enough days during non-peak days to conclude there is something to this moon thing. Now that’s not to say I always have success during a peak moon phase because I don’t, but I definitely think it’s a mistake not to be out there during peak times. Especially during July and August when that peak moon phase is during the evening right before dark. Just my opinion and observations, I’m no expert.

I don't know-

My favorite Lindnerism is 'Not all the fish in a system are doing the same thing at the same time'

Throw in the Saric-ism (crudely paraphrased by me) "even on the crappiest tournament day some fool will figure it out and score one"

I have plenty of days when I fail to even see a fish. Even on the worst days, my best moments are often during moonrise. (good being maybe seeing the only fish of the day)

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreau
    A quiet lake on a peaceful day is sometimes the greatest level of success I get. Still, a day like the last one where I raise 6 within an hour of the mid-day moon event and get one of them up 6 times on five different baits, well, those days don't come by often (enough!) either! m

I think my trip to LOTW this year with the Musky Hunter group got me close to a dozen fish, but six of them were caught in about an hour and one half. That is very much like my entirety of experience with this sport. It occurs in bursts of glory among days of misery. I have long believed most of terrific exploits you hear are just fabrications and gas. It's just a really damn hard sport.

I think I like the Lindner's show. I also think that as I get older, I appreciate my time on the water even more than before, whether I think I did well or not doesn't matter as much.
    I find it interesting how we can come back from a trip and feel like we are champions, all full of ourselves, chest thumping and inner high fives because we may have done well.
    Then the next time, the fish kick us in the nutes all week, can't do a thing right, and the trailer breaks down for no apparent reason on the way home.
    That's when I think I like this more than anything. The test, and the reaction to it.

I have heard this a while back, and have come to agree with Lindners & Stange. For me it's pretty much right on. With 3 average and 2 good days a week, I wouldn't call that bad odds. Only 2 real tough days a week. I have 10-12 yrs. of very thorough records of my days on the water, (75-100 a year) and I can attest that for me, where I fish, that it's very accurate. Also, way more accurate than the random times bites line up with the supposed awesome "moon times".

As John Hammond ad-libbed in one of his songs, "You never know when your lucky day is gonna be!" I went back yesterday to the lake I mentioned previously; landed 2 fish during the am moon event (29 and 35 inches), raised ten who just swiped at my jerkbait, and hooked and lost two - one of which was very large).
    Trying to concentrate on the success of the 35 and not the loss of the biggun, who followed the bait to the boat, swam with it around the front, back down the side, made the turn, then bit, stuck her head up so I could see how freaking huge her mouth was, shook and it was over. *sob* I still have to think it was my lucky day, for now I know her zip code...m