Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size Suicks???

What size Suicks???

What are you reaching for this Fall the 9 inch or the 10 inch Suick??? Also anybody have any luck with the 12s??? Looking to try a few..

9" weighted wood Suick

Weighted 10"s are my favorites.

I have only scored hell-bent northerns on my 12s, but I still always carry one.

My beat up yellow 9 inch Suick has three different hooks hanging from her. Knipex works great. Best bait in my box.

I use both nines and tens. Just depends on the mood of the fish and the jerk who is throwing them.

I really like the tens because they typically have enough size to overcome any variances in wood density, and all pretty much have great action. But there are times the fish seem to prefer the nines, so you have to use them, too. I've been using the 9-inch version of the Suick HI a lot lately and the more I throw them, the more I like them.

The twelve is a whole different animal. You'll be able to get lots of depth from it with minimal effort. You'll also find it very effective.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Suicks are such an awesome bait. I have them all other than them Monster 12s... Steve do you think there is a big difference in the unweighted and weighted in the 10s for running depths?

Quote Originally Posted by MuskyMatt85 View Post
    Suicks are such an awesome bait. I have them all other than them Monster 12s... Steve do you think there is a big difference in the unweighted and weighted in the 10s for running depths?
    Definitely. That said, if my 10-inchers are unweighted, I always add a screw-in weight system, which I kind of prefer for the versatility. Lots of weeds ... take the weight out. Want to fish on the edge or create a lot of hang time around rocks? Put the weight in. Usually a half-ounce screw-in weight is enough to provide the Suick with added depth without affecting the dance.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Steve,

I completely agree with your perspectives on using different models of Suick jerk baits for different situations - for example, rocks versus weeds. I generally have various models of Suicks in the boat for those situations. Your comment about using a variable weight intrigues me as I definitely have "favorite" Suicks that I would like to make more versatile.

Would you please elaborate on the weighting system that you use? Also, where do you add the weighting system to the lure? It seems that there should be a "sweet spot" that makes the lure neither nose or tail heavy.

Thanks for the help! There might be a trip to R&H before too long as this might make for a good winter project.

Good fishing and tight lines!!

Quote Originally Posted by MuskyMatt85 View Post
    What are you reaching for this Fall the 9 inch or the 10 inch Suick??? Also anybody have any luck with the 12s??? Looking to try a few..
    I mostly use 10 inch unweighted Suicks, and seem to do pretty well using them. That said, I've got a 12 incher unweighted that seems to catch more and larger fish. It's more work... maybe a little too bouyant? I've got a XXXH rod that makes working iit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
    Would you please elaborate on the weighting system that you use? Also, where do you add the weighting system to the lure? It seems that there should be a "sweet spot" that makes the lure neither nose or tail heavy.
    There are a couple of weight systems that are readily available and the Musky Shop sells two of them:

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/car...ScrewInWeights

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/car...omWeightSystem

Where to put them? Right between the fins (if they're painted on the bottom), or where Suick pre-weights them (see image).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0786.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	1733  
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com