Thread: Need some help

Need some help

I am new to musky and would like some opinions on rods and reels, I have been using my bass tackle, but I know it is way to light.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks, Jim

Your post is too vague. Its like asking what kind of vehicle should I get? A scooter will get you around, but if you need to haul something, it wont cut it. What are you planning to use this outfit for? Cranks, blades, trolling, lead core or wire lines, Rapalas, jigs, topwaters, rubber, vertical jigging, live bait, etc. You see none of these methods will be handled by one rod and reel. The folks on this board will galdy help you with opinions, but we need a little more details before we start throwing all these rods and reels at you that you may never use for the application you need them for.

I think M_N is making this harder than what it is. Just starting out!

Get yourself a 7'-8' med heavy rod. gander mnt has a good entry level price point rod.
    put an Abu 6500C3 on it with a power handle. Put some 80# power pro on it. Single strand wire leader and your ready. I wouldn't throw big double blades with this combo but, it's a decent starting point. If you like muskie fishing then invest in some better equipment.

If I were to start all over, and were looking for a combination that can throw just about anything, I'd go with a Tackle Industries 9' XH telescopic rod and I'd give one of the new Abu Garcia Revo Toro S60s (the white one) a try. That rod will throw just about everything. Works great for big blades. Works great for Mag dawgs. Little light for pounders. The reel should have enough power for big blades and enough line pick up for rubber. Not many situations where this combination won't work. Other options from other companies are available, but this is what I would start out with for myself. Spool the reel with 80lb braid of choice, and you're good to go for most anything. In the gun world, this would be a 30-06 with a 3X9 scope... Tom

What TTS said but add a stealth flourocarbon leader. I would also change the reel to a Shimano. Get a used 400 or 400b. Great reel.

Quote Originally Posted by New2Musky View Post
    I am new to musky and would like some opinions on rods and reels, I have been using my bass tackle, but I know it is way to light.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks, Jim
    Nothing wrong with bass tackle for muskies, as long as you realize it's limitations. You'll be using bass sized lures, such as Mepps Musky Killer, bass crankbaits, spinnerbaits, 1/2 oz jig/plastic, 6 inch or smaller minnowbaits, etc.

That said, if you are ready to invest in musky gear, what are you thinking in terms of scale? Large plastics, double bladed bucktails, etc? If so, then you should be thinking XH or XXH rods about 9 feet long and large capacity reels such as a Revo 60, Lexa 400, Shimano or similar, spooled with 100 lb test superlines and quality leaders, flouro and single strand stainless.

If you want to go with smaller baits, then a XH or MH rod will work, and your choice of reels and line will probably include Revo 50, Lexa 300, Curado, etc and 80 lb test superlines.

My point is that two outfits will probably be required if you want to throw a variety of larger, medium and smaller lures. One size definitely does not fit all!!