Thread: Beginner tips?

Beginner tips?

I fish in the Sturgeon Bay/Green Bay area.

I'm looking to get into musky fishing. What's the best way to get started? Do I hire a guide, if one exists? Are there any must-have books? I see a lot of info on what gear to use but very little about how to find fish.

Are there any simple beginner tips for locating fish? A good tip for, say, summer/early fall smallmouths is to use a drop shot in 10-30 feet of water near ledges and rocky areas. Is there any simple advice like that for muskie? At this point, my goal is to just be fishing in an area where there's a possibility of catching something.

Thanks.

Green Bay is one area that booking with a guide will cut the learning curve down in a hurry. Just due to its size, it can and is a difficult body of water to fish. Good electronics with GPS is a must. Any of the area guides that musky fish should be able to at least get you started. It might not be cheap, but I feel it is the best way to go. I'll be taking my third guided trip, in the last two years, next week...

No doubt, hiring a guide for a day or two is the fastest way to get on muskies. I fished for several years on my own, getting a fish here and there, with many days skunked. Then I went out with Doug Johnson, and learned a ton of musky basics. Plus I met a really great fisherman. I caught more muskies last year than I caught in all the years combined before last year.

Doug is one of the best. No doubt

http://www.muskyhuntercatalog.com/in...tegory&path=38

Check out this book selection. Mr. Saric knows a few things....

As far as simple, easy techniques for finding muskies, when you come upon some, you write a book and we'll all buy it! I've always said, if this stuff was easy, even girls would be doing it!
    good luck and have fun learning! m

I would buy The Second Edition of The Complete Guide To Musky Hunting. I've read countless times and I learn from it each time I pick it up. Mr. Saric & Mr. Heiting have autographed it twice now for me. It was an autographed edition #506 but they signed it yet again at a show. I call it the Musky Bible.