Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new minn kota i-pilot

new minn kota i-pilot

Will anybody be getting the new ipilot add-on for the terrova or powerdrive trolling motors. I'm looking at going away from the maxxum and going to the terrova with i-pilot. I think the advanced autopilot and spot-lock (anchor) feature will be great for musky/smallie fishing.

I'm currious what guys prefer, electric steer motors (terrova, etc)or cable steer motors (maxxum, etc), and why?

RE: new minn kota i-pilot

Hi:

I have a Terrova with I-Pilot awaiting my new boat. I can think of numerous spots that are difficult to fish, and with a track saved all I need to do in the future is tell the I-Pilot to retrace the track. While it's doing its job, I'll be fishing.

I-Pilot remotes allow you to save three tracks. If you need to save more at one time, right now all you can do is buy a second remote. In discussions I've had with MK I've learned that enhanced memory is coming. However, I've also been told this is years down the line; if you buy an I-Pilot this year you won't be wishing you had waited a year to do so.

Why do I use an electronically-steered trolling motor? 1. I don't like standing like a flamingo with my foot on a foot pedal; 2. Electronically-steered units have no feedback, meaning I don't need to keep my foot on the pedal to keep going in the same direction; 3. I like the versatility of being able to move my foot pedal to multiple locations in my boat.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks for the response steve, 3 tracks isn't very many, but i wasn't aware that they were stored in the remote. Eventually i'll get an extra remote for a backup and for some additional tracks.

I think hitting the spot-lock, particularly while trying to land a fish will be great.

Given that something like a change in wind, weather, time of year, etc. will change the way I fish a spot, I can't see it being really all that useful.

The feature that holds you on a spot would be very cool for vertical jigging other species though.

I also prefer electric steer, for pretty much the same reasons as Steve.

>Given that something like a change in wind, weather, time of
    >year, etc. will change the way I fish a spot, I can't see it
    >being really all that useful.

Hi Jeff:

You're right, but where I see it as very useful is for fishing, or going back on fish I've seen earlier, after dark along shorelines that are tricky even during the daytime. If you get too close to the shoreline, you might run your trolling motor head onto a rock, or snag on shallow rocks, and spook the fish and blow the spot. I see I-Pilot making this much easier.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

HuMMM Not looking like a flamingo with fancy gym shoes???? Steven just because you easily loose your balance when you lift up one foot doesn't mean you can slam us guyses that have cable drives. Trying to cover up ones short commings by pointing out those of another is a no no. Now no one here ever brought up you fear of spiders, yet.

Now for a real question, Steve. You say that you can record three tracks? Is there a limit to the lenght of the track? Could you record one track that would follow a weedline entirely around a small lake?

According to the MinnKota web site, each of the 3 tracks can be up to 2 miles in length. Once established, you can be anywhere within "water sight" of the track and hit the button. The motor will drive you to the closest point on the track and then begin following the remaining section of the track.

To me, the I-pilot really will allow the trolling motor guy to fish as efficiently as the 2nd guy in the boat. I can't wait to get mine hooked up.

Here is a good website that shows all the features of the I-pilot.Jason Halfen is a Professional Walleye fisherman who has had the I-Pilot since it came out. He shows tutorials of all the features.

http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/iPilot2.html

So how far out is an i-pilot that networks with your other electronics in the boat. If it could follow trails on your gps rather than the 3 in the remote that would be cool. Kinda funny, I can hardly turn my computer on and I'm making requests like this. Just seems cool.

For the life of me I can't figure out how guys run a cable drive. I wouldn't be able to take my foot off the pedal.