Thread: University of Esox Canada Musky School Produces 134 Fish

University of Esox Canada Musky School Produces 134 Fish

We enjoyed a good week at Sandy's Blackhawk Island Camp on Lake of the Woods. Included in the week was the 2,500th musky boated at a University of Esox event.

Here are links to the articles:

http://www.muskyhunter.com/musky-mat...uces-134-fish/

http://www.muskyhunter.com/musky-mat...-musky-school/
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Those are amazing numbers!!! Great job. This while our group struggled. The school obviously works. Nicely done everyone.

Once again a truly amazing week with the Musky Hunter crew at Sandys Blackhawk Island!!!! It really is a privilege to share a room or even a table with legends of the musky industry like you can at this event. There is so much information shared throughout the week its hard to soak it all in. Without a doubt I will be back next year.

Looks like a tough week to me to be perfectly honest. There were 24 students and 4 instructors plus Bill Sandy doing some fishing. So lets say we are at 28.5 anglers for the week. 134/28.5 equals 4.7 fish per angler in one week on LOTW. That combined with the fact that the biggest fish for Steve and Jim was a 45" tells me big fish weren't exactly snapping. I was up on the Angle fishing three guys in a boat the previous week and we caught 12 with the biggest being 47" and we lost at least that many. We were not exactly thrilled with the numbers or the size. The school looks to have had nearly identical results.

The bite at the musky school is like any other---difficult to predict! But the experience is a "Sure Thing!" You're at a great resort in a beautiful place fishing with the very best that musky fishing has to offer. Some, like me, may think that they've already had plenty of instruction and experience, but that would be a mistake. You're going to catch what you are going to catch (always a maybe) but you are going to come back a more accomplished angler, having had a chance to see, up close, how your technique stands up against the top of the line. Interestingly, though there is a really smallish award for big fish and most fish, this is nothing at all like a competition. Rather, it is a group effort at finding a way to maximize everybody's experience with sharing that exceeds generosity. Everybody pulls together, roots for each other, and takes genuine satisfaction in the success of classmates. It's such a bargain really, even a cheapskate like me can't wait to do it all over again!

There are a couple different ways of looking at the results. When you're on a trip for a week anyplace you have to take what Ma Nature is willing to give you and accept it. Remarkably, our numbers from the school were almost identical to our longterm averages. So, compared to our longterm averages, you could say it was an average week of fishing on LOTW.

Of the 24 students in the school, only five had attended a previous University of Esox Canada school, and 14 had never before fished Lake of the Woods. Yet a full third (eight) caught their personal best during the week -- try telling them the fishing wasn't great.

Yes, Jim and I personally expect to catch bigger muskies during a week in Canada. But this week is about helping others learn to fish in Canada, and when they go home with smiles on their faces the week is a success.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Marty

Congrats on your 50"

rnovak

Amen to Heiting's response!

Just found out that another fish was a PB for the angler -- so we had nine personal bests as well as two first muskies at this school! I'll take that any year.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com