Thread: Small bait suggestions

Small bait suggestions

Hi all,

Got a trip to NW Ontario, Sioux Lookout area coming up, and looking for a few smaller bait suggestions from the folks out there. I've got some bigger stuff--Cowgirls, Bulldawgs, Depth Raiders etc, but throw a lot of smaller stuff. And I'll be in the boat with my Pop, who really loves to throw small stuff, so I'd love to have a few suggestions when we get up there.

For the record, my favorite "smaller" lure a is Mepps #5 single blade silver blade with white feathers (although we used the double bladed #5s last year with success), but we also throw:

#10 and 12 X-raps
    Mepps #3 (but pike swallow them all the time)
    1/16 ounce Beetle Spin (see earlier threads, my Dad invariably lands a big fish every year on one of these)
    Johnson Silver Minnow (1/2 ounce)
    3/4 ounce Terminator

We fish a good deal of open water (thanks again Travis, if you are still here!!), and have caught a surprising number of fish over open water on dinky baits like X-raps and even Rocket Shad.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Happy fishing, everyone

Tim

you might check into 6" Jakes and 6" grandma lures. Little Ernies, baby depth raiders and baby shallow raiders, also.

Here in Utah smaller ones I've been having success with are krocidiles, Dr spoons and some small swim baits both hard and soft bodied ones hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by tsesox44 View Post
    Hi all,

Got a trip to NW Ontario, Sioux Lookout area coming up, and looking for a few smaller bait suggestions from the folks out there. I've got some bigger stuff--Cowgirls, Bulldawgs, Depth Raiders etc, but throw a lot of smaller stuff. And I'll be in the boat with my Pop, who really loves to throw small stuff, so I'd love to have a few suggestions when we get up there.

For the record, my favorite "smaller" lure a is Mepps #5 single blade silver blade with white feathers (although we used the double bladed #5s last year with success), but we also throw:

#10 and 12 X-raps
    Mepps #3 (but pike swallow them all the time)
    1/16 ounce Beetle Spin (see earlier threads, my Dad invariably lands a big fish every year on one of these)
    Johnson Silver Minnow (1/2 ounce)
    3/4 ounce Terminator

We fish a good deal of open water (thanks again Travis, if you are still here!!), and have caught a surprising number of fish over open water on dinky baits like X-raps and even Rocket Shad.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Happy fishing, everyone

Tim
    For a smaller topwater, the Cisco Topper has worked well for my son. I also like jig/reaper, jig/creature or jig/shad combo's. (I prefer larger hooks, and found some from 1/8 to 1 ounce, all using the same 8/0 hook) I prefer marabou behind my #5 through #7 French spinner blades. I also like Rizzo Wiz type baits, noting I rebuild them, filling the tube with lead and/or plastic beads, depending on the weight I'm looking for. I also like small Crane (206-207) twitch baits.

Fudally musky candys, inhaler fireflys, hooker shads... On and on.

I would try the 4.5" HawgWobbler.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Will give a few of them a try!

Tim