Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is the Season Progressing from a Time/Temperature Perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by BLL_BIGFISH View Post
    I did have my best season last year, and wondered if it was because fish didn't get into summer patterns? I did fish mostly in the late morning through late afternoon.
    Lots of guys had similar experiences as you, Bruce. The daytime fishing last year -- with fish mostly holding in relatively shallow water -- produced great action in northern WI. I'm typically in the office through the afternoon, so in years like that I struggle around here. Give me a good evening or night bite and I'm happy!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

So what's the prognostication for the LOTW opener in two weeks? From what I've seen, the weather has ranged from summer hot to winter cold over the last few weeks, and the water level is low - at about chart datum of 1059 ft. Will the fish be in the north end of shallow bays, or should I look further out into the lake? I'll be on Sabaskong Bay. Whatever, two weeks on LOTW muskie fishing is going to be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick W View Post
    So what's the prognostication for the LOTW opener in two weeks? From what I've seen, the weather has ranged from summer hot to winter cold over the last few weeks, and the water level is low - at about chart datum of 1059 ft. Will the fish be in the north end of shallow bays, or should I look further out into the lake? I'll be on Sabaskong Bay. Whatever, two weeks on LOTW muskie fishing is going to be awesome.
    My -- guess -- is the fish will have finished spawning but will be in transition areas. The water temp was slow to rise, but it was in the 50s for so long that most of the fish had to have finished up spawning.

There may still be a few in the bays, but I believe they'll be on their way toward main lake stuff, if not there already. Water temp is currently in the low to mid 60s and the longterm forecast is for average temperatures.

I keep this link on my "favorites" bar on my browser because it's LOTW: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45148
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks Steve, and great article in the latest MH mag as usual. I've also got to try some open water spots this year with Bondy Baits. It just sounds so right. I've caught some huge pike while back trolling reefs for walleye and went out into the deep water to make a turn around a point. There must be big muskies there plus in other deep areas with current breaks.
    Last edited by Rick W; 06-05-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    My -- guess -- is the fish will have finished spawning but will be in transition areas. The water temp was slow to rise, but it was in the 50s for so long that most of the fish had to have finished up spawning.

There may still be a few in the bays, but I believe they'll be on their way toward main lake stuff, if not there already. Water temp is currently in the low to mid 60s and the longterm forecast is for average temperatures.

I keep this link on my "favorites" bar on my browser because it's LOTW

:
    http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45148
    Thats a helpful website. The attached photo is from may 25th in crow lake area. I think this may be one of the better openers in last few years, hopefully it stays warm as predicted. Quite opposite from last year as i witnessed muskys spawning on opener week. Also after reading AML report posted today, sounds like they already have skis taking walleyes and bass. I like the sound of that!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1432654240863.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	1598