Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is the Season Progressing from a Time/Temperature Perspective?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How is the Season Progressing from a Time/Temperature Perspective?

I have heard fishermen talk about the fishing season being "ahead" or "behind" from normal. This means that fish location will progress through the season according to how the fish feel based on water temperature and other factors. People that live on the lake can more easily determine this based on ice out, weed growth, etc...

What do you think is the progression of this season so far? Are we a week ahead/behind? I want to plan a trip to Canada for mid July and would like to time it properly. Thanks for your advice.

Brian

Behind normal especially weed growth. Where I was at this weekend had areas that were void of any weeds that in normal years would have already grown to the surface. Same with other states I have fished. Salmon still being caught by navy pier.

This is kind of a complicated question to answer. We had a normal to early ice-out, but then things sort of stagnated. Water temps didn't warm up in a hurry and still aren't all that warm. I saw 60-61 in main lake areas and up to 65 in very shallow water, which is cooler than what you would expect for this time of year.

That said, the muskies in northern WI were largely done spawning two weeks ago, so that's a little ahead of normal. The farther removed from spawning the better when it comes to muskies. But the crappies haven't spawned in a lot of lakes, and eggs in the ones I cleaned this weekend were still hard. I caught only one in very shallow water and the rest were in 6-7 FOW in weeds.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

In Rhinelander this weekend it seemed a bit behind as far as lake surface temps go. In my opinion, I don’t think you can project the fishing season this time of year out to July for muskies in Canada. It all depends on the weather from this point on. It could be 80’s in a couple weeks and never cool down, or stay cool. You know there will be a summer peak up there sometime in July and I think you just have to choose a week and hope for the best weather that week.

The biggest problem we've had is every time it gets warm it's followed by a big cool-down. For example, today is gorgeous up here with a high of 81 forecast. Saturday's forecast? A high of 56.

Starting Tuesday, we are predicted to have temps in the high 70s as far out as they have it forecast. I hope that trend continues.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Yesterday Gilmore (shallow lake) had temps from 63-65 near the surface, but with the overnight low in the 40's and today's high in the mid-50's, with little sun, it's probably a couple of degrees cooler today on that same lake.

I've been catching small muskies and some pike, but few bass and am kind of bummed about missing many days during the first half of June.

Seems as though we've been cool and rainy quite a bit since I got to Woodruff, WI in mid-May. I recall there has been some volcano activity this year, and wonder if that might be having an impact?

First off, where are you planning to go?

Secondly, by the time mid July rolls around I doubt the type of spring we had will have much impact on the bite, etc. I think the biggest impact is always within 3 - 4 weeks of the season opener.

Quote Originally Posted by lelekb View Post
    I have heard fishermen talk about the fishing season being "ahead" or "behind" from normal. This means that fish location will progress through the season according to how the fish feel based on water temperature and other factors. People that live on the lake can more easily determine this based on ice out, weed growth, etc...

What do you think is the progression of this season so far? Are we a week ahead/behind? I want to plan a trip to Canada for mid July and would like to time it properly. Thanks for your advice.

Brian
    Had surface temps up to almost 70 degrees in 3-4 feet of water... 65-66 over most of the lake today. Caught one small musky, had a couple more follows and caught some pike... all between 3:30 and 4:30 PM, then went quiet.

Regarding planning to hit ideal conditions well in advance... more wishful thinking than anything. If you can travel on short notice, then you can help yourself.

Overall, I don't think this season is late, but it's definitely been variable... warmer than normal and then colder than normal, over and over again... the new normal.
    Last edited by BLL_BIGFISH; 06-01-2015 at 09:14 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by BLL_BIGFISH View Post
    Had surface temps up to almost 70 degrees in 3-4 feet of water... 65-66 over most of the lake today. Caught one small musky, had a couple more follows and caught some pike... all between 3:30 and 4:30 PM, then went quiet.
    Bruce ... would you say the season so far has been eerily reminiscent of last year? Cold nights, and the best bite when the sun and air temps are at their warmest?

I sure hope that's not the case. I wouldn't mind having a good night bite this year.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    Bruce ... would you say the season so far has been eerily reminiscent of last year? Cold nights, and the best bite when the sun and air temps are at their warmest?

I sure hope that's not the case. I wouldn't mind having a good night bite this year.
    Honestly I haven't been out enough to see a clear pattern, and am now back in CA for several days. I did have my best season last year, and wondered if it was because fish didn't get into summer patterns? I did fish mostly in the late morning through late afternoon.

Something else interesting last season and so far this year, I have not caught many bass. I did catch a couple of nice largemouth last season on 10 inch Suicks, but no where near the normal numbers. Caught both very shallow on a very clear lake, and probably both were caught in the evening.