Thread: Thanks Marty Forman !!

Thanks Marty Forman !!

I read your March article "Big Baits for Muskies -- Not So Fast!" in "MidWest Outdoors" publication ---- so I made up a 5" black bucktail with a single nickle heavy #6 colorado blade and got a 40"er on Pewaukee Lake yesterday --- Thanksalot !!! ----- jimjimjim
    Last edited by jimjimjim; 06-06-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Small baits do work better some days... I've seen where muskies ignore my Suick in late fall and eat a crappie minnow fished in the same location a short while later.

I've had nice fish hit 1/16 oz Beetle Spins and similar in the late spring.

Tony Rizzo claims he'd take 10 times more fish with small baits when the water was cool in the spring using smaller baits than large ones. Big baits can work, and can be better, but if you are ignoring using smallish baits in the spring, you are not improving your opportunities.

I think high pressured lakes can lead to success with smaller baits and speed. That's my Pewaukee and Leech Lake go to technique. Try ripping shallow shad lures or Bulldawgs.

I have read many times that if you dont get any action on your big baits,, switch to smaller baits --- think I will start with smaller baits this year --- now that I am Medicare eligible,, sounds like a good idea !! --- LOL --- jimjimjim