Thread: Does anyone make their own bucktails?

Does anyone make their own bucktails?

I found blades up to size 6 but we all know those aren't musky size. I've found tails about 2 inches but those won't do for what we're after. Does anyone know a place where I can start making my own lures for the size of fish we're after? That might have bodies & Blades and the sort? Thanks all
    Last edited by Wolf0503; 05-31-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Here is another http://lurepartsonline.com/

Both good suggestions. If you're in northern WI and need something in a hurry, the Musky Shop has everything to build them, too. www.muskyshop.com
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I get my stuff from hagens. You can also make your own skirts cheaper than buying premade ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf0503 View Post
    I found blades up to size 6 but we all know those aren't musky size. I've found tails about 2 inches but those won't do for what we're after. Does anyone know a place where I can start making my own lures for the size of fish we're after? That might have bodies & Blades and the sort? Thanks all
    Been making (and remaking) bucktails for many years. I actually buy some bucktails just for the marabou feathers, then cut them up and remake them with better shafts, hooks, beads, blades, etc.

It's nice to build your own, as you can make a lot of decisions: blade sizes and weights, shaft sizes, clevis styles, bead colors, sizes, weights, hook sizes and styles, split ring sizes and styles, skirt, hair or feather size, color and style.

As mentioned, Dick Moore has quite a bit of stuff, and what he doesn't have you can get from Rollie and Helen's Musky Shop. (prices of components do vary substantially, however, so you may want to shop around)

Any and all of the recommendations above will work great. I have used them all and also have a local place in Appleton, WI that I like t give my business too. Making baits and catching fish on those baits is a great experience. To piggyback on Bill's comment, I bring my kit with me on every trip that will be more than 1 day and have the ability to remake a "hot" bait that might have gotten a lot of abuse from fish that day. Start the next day with a hot color in a proven bait with brand new shafts, hooks, split rings, shrink tubing etc.. is a huge confidence builder for me.

Thank you for you wisdom, help, encouragement I have a book on the way.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1558217215/...140_TE_3p_dp_1

That will help me out into the way of making my own lures, on a side note I can't imagine what it would be like to catch a Musky or a Rod I made on a lure I made. Thanks again.

try "lakeland" and "Worth" and "Tackle Industies" ,,, great blades,skirts and components selection --- jimjimjim

"I actually buy some bucktails just for the marabou feathers, then cut them up and remake them with better shafts, hooks, beads, blades, etc."

Perhaps you not aware ~ you can buy marabou in any color under the sun, plus barred, UV etc. from a flyfishing shop or say Cabela's, Bass Pro,etc fly tying section on line