Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best colors for heavily stained flowage water

Best colors for heavily stained flowage water

Curious as to everyones color choices when fishing dark stained flowage systems?

Orange!

End of discussion.

Orange and chartreuse. I have had luck with nickle blades and black bucktails, though.

I have had success with all black and all white and was curious if others would concur because it makes little sense to me. Thanks for your response.

Contrasting bright colors

Most of my musky fishing is on "intermediate" color water - in-between gin clear and heavily stained. However, I have some experience on heavily stained water. The lures that I select for use on stained water are not only colorful (e.g. bright orange or bright yellow), but also feature contrasting colors. For example, I use the orange and yellow coach-dog color schemes - black dots on a bright orange or yellow background. Another example would be the jailbird or bumblebee color schemes.

My bucktails for stained water are also brightly colored with flashy blades and contrasting colors (e.g. firetiger type schemes). I just have a hunch that the flashy colors get the fish's attention. The contrasting colors give the fish something to zero-in on when attacking. Many of my homemade blade baits feature a white something (e.g. bucktai, marabou or white twister tail) as a contrasting color. These simply work for me.

Don't overlook the power of noise/vibration in stained water. The color schemes mentioned above with rattles can go a long way. Topwaters will do the same thing. Adding a twister type tail to blade baits also helps create noise/vibration in the water.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
    Last edited by BornToFish; 04-01-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added material

Fire Tiger, Chartreuse, Orange, Some pink but make it bright.

I have had good luck with chartruese, fire tiger and white.

I don't get how 5 people make a post after John says, "End of discussion!" I bet he still has one of those books full of citations and some municipal judge he's still buddies with who will make it stick! I (personally) wouldn't push it! Nope! I wouldn't! He'll write something, and everybody will think you are a poor angler....just tie on the orange blade and mind your business!

Thank You Marty!

All colors work in stained water, but only one produces all the f@#king time!

Color doesn't matter.