Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing My Musky Mojo?

Losing My Musky Mojo?

The last few years I have gone from 80% musky fishing and 20% other species to a complete flip flop. I have been concentrating on bass and salmon fishing. Lake Michigan has great smallies to go along with the powerful King salmon. I really only musky fish a few times in the very late fall in southern WI and 1 week on LOTW in summer. I have even sold off two musky rods that I never would have dreamed of parting with before. I suppose part of it is where I live, near Chicago? It might also be due to the fact that I make my own double 10’s and that is what I use 90% of the time along with a few top waters and occasional jerk/crank bait? Gone are the days when I would sift through catalogs and get excited about picking new musky lures each year. Or, maybe getting older, I prefer to fish for fish you can catch? Don’t get me wrong, I still love that 1 week up at Sandy’s and my fall sucker fishing, but it just isn’t happening for me near home all summer long like it used to. Anyone else suffering similar symptoms? Can I be helped?

You should try Watching 6-7 episodes Of Jim, Researching a new lake, or perfecting your hunt at Sandy's. You know that water pretty well-look up Sandy lodge bookmark it so you can refer to it daily.

I think you should just move! I'd sound like that if I lived in Chicago too. Based on what you say, I'd buy one of those cute little (not too expensive) places on Little Sturgeon Bay where you can catch a pretty giant musky by accident while you're jerking in 5-8 pound smallies. Then you wouldn't have to park in the lot across the street from the ramp that led me to apply for a handicap parking permit, you'd have a real NFL team to root for, be an hour from Lambeau, which is (really) sort like Mount Sinai. You just gotta move, before you bring me to tears. Life is better here!

It's all good, don't judge yourself. I left it alone for a season a few years back.

To me the appeal is the pursuit, solving the code of the day if you will. Sometimes I declare no buck tail day in the boat just to keep it diverse.

Quote Originally Posted by 1morecast View Post
    The last few years I have gone from 80% musky fishing and 20% other species to a complete flip flop. I have been concentrating on bass and salmon fishing. Lake Michigan has great smallies to go along with the powerful King salmon. I really only musky fish a few times in the very late fall in southern WI and 1 week on LOTW in summer. I have even sold off two musky rods that I never would have dreamed of parting with before. I suppose part of it is where I live, near Chicago? It might also be due to the fact that I make my own double 10’s and that is what I use 90% of the time along with a few top waters and occasional jerk/crank bait? Gone are the days when I would sift through catalogs and get excited about picking new musky lures each year. Or, maybe getting older, I prefer to fish for fish you can catch? Don’t get me wrong, I still love that 1 week up at Sandy’s and my fall sucker fishing, but it just isn’t happening for me near home all summer long like it used to. Anyone else suffering similar symptoms? Can I be helped?
    Every year I tell myself I'm going to fish walleye more, but then I just can't get myself to leave the muskies alone. I've been telling myself the same since last fall, when I had what I suspect was a pretty good walleye rake a 6 inch minnow on a 1 1/2 oz jig I was using for muskies. I should probably fish more jig/plastic or jig/bait, which would give me chances at more species. I've got a friend who catches big walleyes, and I should spend more time with him this season, though that means fishing the UP versus WI.

I'm from Illinois too. I have to agree with junkman.

Yes, I guess it is a product of where I live. The excitement of chasing muskies in IL and southern WI has just worn off. LOTW has spoiled me as well. If I lived in northern WI or MN I bet I would be energized.

Now Door County has a nice ring to it. I vacationed in Sturgeon Bay for a week all through the 90's and up until about 2003. Caught smallies until my arms hurt and big ones were only 4 pounds back then. I don't know if I could go for the Pack though. It's just those uniform colors. I liked the dark throwback uniforms.They need to do an Oregon Duck thing where they vary the colors from dark green to chartruese, etc.

I've "broadened my horizons" in my later years but still love the hunt the most. Marty, you nailed it....

Quote Originally Posted by junkman View Post
    I think you should just move! I'd sound like that if I lived in Chicago too. Based on what you say, I'd buy one of those cute little (not too expensive) places on Little Sturgeon Bay where you can catch a pretty giant musky by accident while you're jerking in 5-8 pound smallies. Then you wouldn't have to park in the lot across the street from the ramp that led me to apply for a handicap parking permit, you'd have a real NFL team to root for, be an hour from Lambeau, which is (really) sort like Mount Sinai. You just gotta move, before you bring me to tears. Life is better here!
    Marty, so you're saying that by merely moving from Illinois, Dave can improve his outlook not only on musky fishing, but on life.

But what if guys like Dave start moving here en masse? What will it do to the outlook of those of us already living here?!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    Marty, so you're saying that by merely moving from Illinois, Dave can improve his outlook not only on musky fishing, but on life.

But what if guys like Dave start moving here en masse? What will it do to the outlook of those of us already living here?!
    That's funny, as since I moved to the Minocqua area in late 2006 I have changed. I usually avoid fishing on weekends, except late Sunday, to avoid crowds at boat landings. I look forward to mid-August, which is basically the end of the high traffic volume associated with summer vacation season, and summer camps have closed.

That said, it's still a great time to move "up north", as the late model used housing market is still a bargain compared to the cost of building new homes. I suspect the market will eventually rebound, and that people who have bought recently or soon will do very well.