Thread: Revo Toro NaCl Best All Around Reel??

Revo Toro NaCl Best All Around Reel??

Hello,
    I am new to Musky fishing and looking to buy a rod/reel. Ive looked at the Revo Toro NaCl, Winch and the shimano Calcutta 400D. If you could only buy one, which would be your best all around reel to purchase? leaning towards the NaCl. also looking at the St Croix 8'6 premier HF rod.
    thanks for your opinion!

Bone

Quote Originally Posted by bonecollector View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to Musky fishing and looking to buy a rod/reel. Ive looked at the Revo Toro NaCl, Winch and the shimano Calcutta 400D. If you could only buy one, which would be your best all around reel to purchase? leaning towards the NaCl. also looking at the St Croix 8'6 premier HF rod.
    thanks for your opinion!

Bone
    Garcia makes a good reel, noting I always said if I could only have one that I liked my Revo Toro 50 and 60 best in 5.4:1 ratio... to me the 4.7:1 has very good power, but is kind of slow, and the 6.4:1 is fast but features insufficient power for baits that generate substantial resistance.

I've been very happy with Daiwa Lexa 300 and 400 reels, but understand many really like the Shimano reel too.

All are very good reels, but don't overlook Daiwa's Luna 300. It belongs with the group.

Re: the Croix 8-6 Premium, you won't be disappointed. Excellent rod. The Mojo series offers a cooler graphics package and split grip, and you won't go wrong there, either.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

thanks for the replies. I havent even looked at the Daiwa reels but will check them out. I guess im learning that there isnt just one universal rod/reel for musky fishing, but was hoping to find the closest thing to it if possible to start..... you know, get the most bang for the buck with that first investment.

If you want bang for your buck, without breaking the bank, you can't go wrong with the good old Abu Garcia 6500 C3. The internal parts haven't changed in 20 years. If you learn how to maintain and repair your own, they will last and last. I keep a supply of the most common parts and can fix them on the spot, wherever I happen to be. They also can also souped-up. I own at least a dozen of these reels (I have 4 kids) and the reels all have at least 6 bearings, as opposed to the standard 3 in the C3 and ceramic bearings and line pawls. They rock!

I use Revo Toro NaCl's and I prefer them but I have small hands so the low profile works well for me. I used Daiwa Luna 300's before I went to low profile and I probably would have stayed with them if the low profile did not arrive on the scene. I have not used the Lexa, but if they are of the same level of quality of the Luna it would be a good choice. I do not believe the Lexa has a synchronized level wind and the only reels I used that did not have that feature were Shimano Curado 300 DSV's. They were great reels, but too light for what I do now but not having the synchronized level wind was annoying at times, but for about $100 less you may want to try it out if you like low profile reels.

I have a Abu Garcia 5500 C3 that was my Uncles for about 5 years before he gave it to me and I've had it since 1999. Great Reel, my fishing buddies and I used to call it the winch before the Winch edition came out. They all have at least one. I'm looking to add a Diawa Lexa 400 5:1:1.

You don't tell us what you plan to use it for the most, so its hard to say this one is better than that one.

A reel with good pick and a lot like a Revo Toro is the Okuma Komodo 350. The KDR364s are a bit cheaper (found one for 150) and they seem solid. Will be trying one this season. The Lexa 400 is a good size reel, but I'm sure you will handle one prior to buying and see if okay to for your hands.

I like all three of the reels you mention for various applications, but if I had to choose one for an all-purpose reel it would be the Calcutta D.

If you are in that price range then the 400D. But, the Daiwa Luna is my favorite all around reel. Hands down. My C3's are in storage or on salmon poles. And all of their drags need repair despite being loosened in winter