Thread: Looking for a Super Numbers Lake in Canada

Looking for a Super Numbers Lake in Canada

I have taken the kids musky fishing for a few days in Wisconsin and we blanked. I know that is normal, but they are starting to become discouraged. They are still hoping for their first musky. So, I would like to take them to Canada for a couple of days and fish a super numbers lake where multiple fish days are likely. I prefer a lake with predominately small fish—up to about 36 inches. I am considering Pincher Lake, but am open to other ideas. I fish LOTW, and might take them there, but would prefer more numbers and smaller size.

Any advice would be appreciated. PM me if preferred.

Brian

The Indian Chain of Lakes near Vermillion, Ontario. Just North of Eagle Lake. Lots of mid 30" Fish and some nice Tiger muskies also.

Indian Chain, Canyon, Corner, and Fluke, to name a few with public access. Most of the fish will be in the 30s with some in the low to mid 40s. However, many of the resorts and almost every fly-in service has a boat cache on some wilderness lake full of smallish muskies. Wilderness Air out of Vermilion Bay flies into Pincher and Fisher lakes for muskies. Some of the air services or resorts have outpost camps on such lakes, like Kishkutena.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I fished Fluke Lake from Manotak Lodge on many occasions during the last fifteen years. This lodge has two boats on the lake, as does another lodge.

I have a fondness for Fluke Lake as I caught my first musky on this lake while actually fishing for them. My biggest musky from this lake was low 40 inches. It's a classic numbers lake. Two anglers boating twenty plus muskies (no joke!) in a day wasn't unheard of ten years ago, with most of the fish in the 30-35 inch range. Today's catch rate isn't nearly that good as it was years ago, but is still decent. The decline in fishing might coincide with increased fishing pressure and some logging activity in the area that happened seven or so years ago

The lake's landing is absolutely unimproved. It's very tough to launch a larger boat on this lake as the landing is very shallow. A pickup likely won't make it back up the path if the clay is wet. Someone wanting to fish the lake would do well to take a small aluminum boat and a ten horsepower motor. The path to the lake is about one hundred yards long and is on a moderately steep hill.

The lake is down a gravel road about 15+ miles from Hwy 105. The road isn't very well maintained (in my opinion) since the logging activity stopped several years ago. A buddy went to the lake a few years ago and set off the air bag in his car when he hit a bump.

The water in the lake is quite stained - like a cup of tea. I've done well with smaller lures in bright colors that make a lot of noise - bucktails and TopRaiders.

Good fishing and tight lines!!

Quote Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
    The lake's landing is absolutely unimproved. It's very tough to launch a larger boat on this lake as the landing is very shallow. A pickup likely won't make it back up the path if the clay is wet. Someone wanting to fish the lake would do well to take a small aluminum boat and a ten horsepower motor. The path to the lake is about one hundred yards long and is on a moderately steep hill.
    The one time I fished Fluke was about 15 years ago and we used an ATV to launch a 14' boat. The trip out -- uphill, in wet clay -- was messy. Imagine one guy driving the ATV and two guys pushing (and getting very muddy), and that was us. It was a post-frontal day and we had follows from I-have-no-idea-how-many muskies but caught only one. I cast a topwater into a bay and the V's converging on the bait were like spokes of a wheel ... and none of them ate.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

A great place to go would be Fireside Lodge on Little Vermilion. Great owner, facilities, nice lake system. It is a super smallmouth fishery but also tons of good-sized pike and good musky numbers in the 35-40 range. We went there for years and liked it a lot. I have always thought it would be near ideal for kids. If you were to go, PM me sometime for tips.

Steve,

The picture in my mind of you and your buddies all covered in mud is funny! What makes it so funny is that I have been there and done that. I pretty much know how you guys looked and smelled.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post about the loon $__t that is on the shore, between the dry land and the firm sand in the lake. I forgot my rubber boots on one occasion. I took off my socks and shoes and pushed the boat off shore in bare feet. The smell on my feet and pant legs followed me around all day long.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
    Last edited by BornToFish; 01-31-2015 at 09:05 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    A great place to go would be Fireside Lodge on Little Vermilion. Great owner, facilities, nice lake system. It is a super smallmouth fishery but also tons of good-sized pike and good musky numbers in the 35-40 range. We went there for years and liked it a lot. I have always thought it would be near ideal for kids. If you were to go, PM me sometime for tips.
    Been there in 1993 and 1994 when the "sanctuary" lakes were first opened to fishing. Great waters, lots of muskies, big smallies and pike. Lots of adventure running the creek into the attached lakes. Definitely one to check out. http://firesidelodge.com
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com