Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any big musky plans for 2015?

Any big musky plans for 2015?

Sport show season and the Winternet are upon us. Many of us are planning trips with a big musky or more as the ultimate goal. Where do you plan to fish this year, when do you plan to go, and why did you choose that destination?

I will be at Lake of the Woods for the University of Esox Musky School at Sandy's Blackhawk Island camp July 18-25, and will make a return trip to the same camp in August. Why? Because the fishing and resort are outstanding, and Lake of the Woods is one of the most beautiful places on earth. The weeks I spend there are among the absolute best of the year.

I also plan to take one or two other trips, but I'm uncertain of their timing and location ... still doing research. Otherwise, I'll be fishing near my home in northern Wisconsin.

How about you?
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Fun question! Residing south of the WI border, my musky fishing is a bit limited. In fact I do more bass and salmon fishing. But, I will start with my usual musky opener trip in Rhinelander where I will slay the smallies and try to break the ice (hopefully, not literally) with my first musky of 2015. I bass fish 70% and musky fish 30%.

Sometime in June/July will be a couple southern WI day trips to Pewaukee and to Lake Geneva (Yes, I said Lake Geneva). I may even hit the IL Chain a time or two. No Blarney’s Island this time, I swear.

Then comes the lull where all I do is let the excitement build for LOTW at Sandy’s (See you at the dock, Steve). This year I will have my figure 8 with my 9’ Big Nasty down thanks to Jim’s latest article. Unlike Allen Iverson I will practice!

Then it will be a fall trip in early November to Lake St. Clair just to prove I can still throw pounders. Unless the water is muddy like one year we went. Or, this could be the year we finally go back to Sandy's in late October instead?

Finally, I finish off with multiple sucker fishing trips in southern WI on “Lake X” until the lakes freeze or they no longer have suckers which is usually the second week of December. Then I winterize and put the Xmas lights up. For living in IL, I guess I really do have a wonderful musky life.
    Last edited by 1morecast; 01-16-2015 at 01:19 PM.

I'm going to try hard to "finally" make that LOTW Musky Hunter school this year. I'm also fishing the PMTT trail again, which I would not miss.

I will be doing the PMTT this year with our club's annual LOTW trip (July 10th - 18th) mixed in. The typical fall trips to Vermilion and Vilas county will wrap up the season. I'd like to try a St Claire weekend in summer or early fall. I can't wait to get it started. See you on the water.

Jeff

Just my usual... fly back to WI for a little crappie and maybe walleye fishing, clean my musky reels from last fall, then get after the muskies. Then I fly back to San Diego and drive back to WI with my wife.

Hoping my daughter's kids (Nathan will be 7 and Evie 4) are able to visit this summer, and would love to get them out after some bass, gills, etc.

My son and his wife are planning to visit for at least a few days of muskie fishing, which is one of the few times of the season I have someone else with me in my boat.

I really need to push ahead and start muskie fishing in AZ or other western states, as I know there are some great hybrid lakes in the western mountains. I could probably do that on a visit to Tucson to visit my mother later in the winter.
    Last edited by BLL_BIGFISH; 01-17-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo

This week's Musky Hunter TV on Eagle Lake psyched me for a return trip to Eagle Lake. I really enjoyed AML last trip; this August I'll be at Century Lodge, on the other end of Eagle. Also will make it to the Manitou, Barker Bay is a favorite spot, and add some Minnesota lakes I've never fished.

Greg Ide
    (topwater fishing in Canada!)

Yearly trip to Winnipeg River, (10th year goin? or so) Hopefully an additional Canada trip -either LOW or Eagle. Later in Summer.
    Hope to take several trips to West Minnesota, Because it's awesome.
    Every other weekend of the open season I'll be up near Winter WI. casting till my arm falls off.
    -Jon
    Last edited by rudedog; 01-18-2015 at 07:45 AM.

Get out when you can! After falling 20ft at work last April I missed out on the whole season. Damn I miss it. After ongoing surgeries hoping to be able to go to our cabin in Presque Isle, Wi this summer a lot, and winning our club tournament in late October. That will be a dream season.

This year's Canadian trip is to Georgian Bay, specifically the Moon River area in September. I like to alternate annual trips between "big fish" waters like the Georgian Bay and "numbers" water like the Kawartha Lakes in Ontario. Hope everyone's plans bear fruit this year!
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

Lake Kinkade, Illinois in late February because I just can't wait any longer. A couple trips to central WI to fish Petenwell and Castle Rock in April and May, that's where I grew up and like to get back there every chance I get. Lake St. Clair in late June for a club outing. LOTW first part of July. Then it's pretty much wait until September to chase the beasts on local waters unless somebody talks me into taking another trip to cooler waters.