Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You'll be Green with envy!

You'll be Green with envy!

This is either game-changer in the rod business or maybe even "Game Over!" I'm not kidding, forget my usual humorous approach. The new Legend Elite by St Croix Rods simply blew me away. I watched at the Chicago show while angler after angler picked up the new green stick and heard one Holy-Cow after another. You see there is a rod in your hand but you can't feel it. For all practical purposes, you feel like the rod weighs nothing. For me, this represents 2 added hours of fishing before I tire. You simply must pick this up.

So, I have a nice set of LT's for different baits already in the boat. If I was going to get just one of the new ones, what should I get? I think maybe one to throw the more fun baits? Not DC 10's or big Dawgs for sure. There's nothing like throwing a smaller Bucktail or 6" Reef Hog at small targets. Maybe something like a Top'n'Tail?

Nice! Been waiting to see these. Are they for sale at the show or just to look at?

I had the good fortune of trying a pair of St. Croix's new Legend Elite musky rods while fishing in NW Ontario this past September. They were noticeably lighter than my current Legend fishing rods. I'm not planning to obsolete any of my current Legends in order to replace them with the new rods. However, the new Legend Elite rods will be at the top of my list when it comes time to add a rod to the collection, or replace a broken or lost rod.

The new rods are that nice! My hat is off to St. Croix for their pioneering work in fishing rod technology. They came up with yet another "game winner".

I love my stable of LTS and Predator St Croix Rods. That being said I think St Croix missed the boat on not offering a 9 foot rod in this new series. It seems odd to exclude a length demanded by those most likley to drop $500+ on a rod...
    Last edited by Mojo1269; 01-12-2015 at 06:28 AM.

The best way of looking at these rods is to go to a show and put an LT in one hand and a comparably-lengthed model of the new Legend Elite series in the other. There is a huge "Wow" factor, and considering that's in a comparison with the best rod lineup currently on the market, that says a lot.

They are currently not for sale and can only be viewed at a show where St. Croix has a factory booth. I was told they hope to be shipping the new rod to dealers sometime in April.

The price for the new rods, I've been told, will be $550 each. Yes, that's extremely pricey, but SCV graphite, new Torzite guides, new reel seats and the St. Croix proprietary technologies like IPC and ART come at a price. The Legend Elites are 1-2 ounces lighter per comparable length/action of the LT series.

I've been told they will be split grip only to start, with four models -- 7-6 heavy, 8-0 MH, 8-6 MH and 8-6 H. A 9-footer is being planned but is not in the current lineup. The rods will not be named as in the LT series.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I talked at length with Rich Belanger this past autumn about the development of the technology featured in their new line-up of musky rods. I sensed they had quite a bit of development work to do just to get the rods to properly perform. Then, they had to figure out how to manufacture them. In other words, they worked hard to push the technology envelope to get these rods "right". I am confident that they will offer a nine footer in due course. It will take them some time to properly design and manufacture this rod.

The 1-2 ounce weight reduction that Steve mentioned above might not sound to some people as being very much of a weight reduction. Please keep in mind that this weight reduction is relative to fishing rods weighing from about seven to about ten ounces. In other words, the weight reduction is around 15-20%. Not bad!!

I know it made a difference to me at the end of the day.

For me, this is all about staying in the game as age takes its toll. As you accept the increasing limitations of age, you search out every avenue that offers a bit of rest. Naturally, you attempt to rely on time on the water and every other aspect of experience and "wisdom" you're supposed to gain with the years. The reality is that technology will often hold the trump card to fatigue. This rod is just one more way to extend your day musky fishing before the aches, pain, and just plumb "wore-out" brings you "quits." Fortunately, this humiliation will often occur at a time when your kids have all graduated and there's more bucks than bills to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo1269 View Post
    It seems odd to exclude a length demanded by those most likley to drop $500+ on a rod...
    Can you back up that statement with some facts? Seems to me that St Croix has a bit of experience in building and marketing rods so they more than likely have a pretty good handle on what they're doing.

I can assure you that a 9' or longer rod is not in high demand. Allow me to back that up with some facts. I get very few orders for custom rods 9' or longer. St Croix has one rod longer than 8'6" in all three line-ups that they offer. Don't you think that if there was actually demand for longer rods like you suggest that they would be making them? After all, they are in business to make money.

Here's my opinion on these new rods: They are the finest musky rod ever made. They have the lightest weight blanks coupled with the lightest, most durable guides and some of the finest cork available...actually those are facts too. My opinion is that St Croix took the 4 best sellers from their other two lineups and produced those lengths, powers, and actions in the new Elite series.

jeremy

I remember back when I was so impressed with Diamondback blanks...man those were light. The problem though is that there was a tendency toward breakage. I would think this would not be an issue here?