Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish finder/GPS combo

Fish finder/GPS combo

Hello all,
    After a rough year of musky fishing with no or very basic electronics I'd love for you to help me spend some money! I'm from Winnipeg MB but will be spending the holidays in Minnesota, but wanted to ask for your advice on buying a unit. First off: we have our biggest sales of the year on Boxing Day, can I expect anything similar in Minneapolis? And where should I look? I've been looking at the Humminbird 587ci HD , and have around $500-600 to spend so I'm curious to hear opinions on this unit or comparable ones. Not set on one brand either so suggestions are welcome.
    I'm looking to take a small step into the world of electronics because I've only ever used old "locators" that basically just show depth. Our cabin is on The west arm of Eagle lake so we're excited to add GPS to our boat. Trolling for open water giants would be more productive if we could mark waypoints of fish caught. Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas, thank you for any help you can provide.

Oh and is there a better way than a suction cup to temporarily mount your transducer to the transom of your boat? You guys are the best, thanks!

In my humble opinion I like the Humminbird products. Get the best one you can afford and then really take the time to learn and use the unit.
    Merry Christmas!

To be honest, this is really a ford / chevy kind of debate as you will find people on both sides of the spectrum on which unit is best.

That being said, the best deals right now I have been seeing are online versus a big box store. Depending on where you will be visiting in MN though, there are a few places you could check out. If in the Twin Cities, I suggest Cabela's as they will have plenty of units to check out, and possibly a bracket for you also.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Porta...3174000&rid=20

Good Luck.

Pal

Pop a few more bucks and get a Humminbird 859 ci HD which has a 7" screen. You'll appreciate the bigger screen.
    Cabela's, BassPro, etc. sell portable transducer mounts that clamp onto the boat transom.
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

Just ordered a Hummingbird 688 CI HD Cabelas has it for $399 with a $50 gift card and free shipping.... or you can get the one with DI for $449.00
    The guys I talked to said they sell 3X as many Hummingbirds as the other locators...

Wally

Thank you all for your help! And after shopping around I sure hope that you all appreciate just how cheap your fishing gear is in the U.S! Let alone a six pack of beer is a third of the Canadian price...hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable holidays! I managed to get a humminbird 798 si HD for $569 with the two year extra warranty from Gander mountain. It's a whole lot fancier than I imagined, been reading the manual and familiarizing myself with it. Because I'm so new to this level of technology, any tips for shortening the learning curve? Again I really only fish Eagle Lake so I'm not sure the value in me purchasing these navionics maps?

Thank you all for your contributions to this site. Your help has allowed me to catch muskies on lures I've made myself, or custom paint jobs I've done on my favorite store bought lures. It also helped put my girlfriend onto her first musky, a fat pig of a 51.25" beauty. First word out of her mouth "well that wasn't THAT hard!" (she had only put about 6 hrs of trolling in and was reading a book at the time). ALWAYS let your spouse choose their lure, hers was a hideous color combo that I would have never bought if she didn't make me buy it for her. Sharpen their hooks, put their lure on for them and just enjoy that they are willing to be there with you!
    Wishing all of you the best for 2015!

Hi River City,
    I am from Winnipeg also and a member of Canadian Esox, the local pike and musky club. I can assist you this summer with your Humminbird, i have one also. Yes there is a bit of a learnng curve but it is all good and I have had great service when I needed to contact HB. I also part of a group that makes our own lures through out the winter. Just send me an email with your phone and I will get in touch with you. Jim

Message sent laker, thanks!

I spent some time on YouTube and there was some really good informative videos on how to use the side imaging and other things. Check it out. Enjoy your new unit. There are downloads available to keep your unit up to date. Register it at Humminbird. Once again, how to update software is on youtube.

Just a suggestion, after you install the unit, unplug the sonar (pinging against the garage floor will burn up the 'ducer) and just sit in the boat and play around with the gps for a while. Use the map to transport you to a lake you know and Get familiar with the functions and keys, then spend some time on the water when things thaw.
    If you have a cabin on Eagle, I'm sure you can find quite a few volunteers who'd come up to spend a week coaching you....

good luck and happy new year, m