Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fish finder/GPS combo

Best wishes to you for a great 2015. In addition to Mikie's tip for shortening the learning curve on you new unit, I found that the internet has a lot of useful info, including demonstrations and tips on YouTube, e.g., https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bird+798+si+HD. Have fun!
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

THANK YOU! I definitely learn better from actual people/video than reading a manual so these videos have been great! Eagle is amazing but I think the ultra clear water of the west arm makes it a hard place to learn about musky fishing. Definitely not about numbers but my first musky and my girlfriends first were both over 50"! So it's a trade off, and at times your confidence suffers haha. Reading or hearing stories from guides about some of the monsters they've seen I truly believe there are absolute beasts that hunt the deep water in Eagle. I'm talking eating lakers, whitefish and ciscoes, never to be caught by traditional casting. These are the fish we go after trolling, and this unit will hopefully help us with that.
    Happy New Years to all of you, and thank you to Jim and Steve for the work that you put into the forum and magazine. Wishing you all the best for the 2015 season!

I may just know a volunteer or two...

Ok so I've been spending time reading and staring at my new unit with trepidation, never even turned it on yet! I really shouldnt have nice things lol this is worth more than my boat! Couple questions:
    1) what size SD card would you recommend ?
    2) I will be connecting this directly to a battery at all times.
    -what type battery should I get? Doesn't need to be top of the line because I can pull the battery at the end of the day to charge
    -I know NOTHING about fuses, 3 amp inline fuse and holder the best to use?
    3) I REALLY want to use this for ice fishing on the Red River for Walleyes this weekend. I've read conflicting stories online about spending the extra $80 to get the "iceducer" for the unit. Some people really seem to like a certain down imaging function instead of the "flasher" mode that the 798 can be set to. Any thoughts, opinions or maybe you've tried this? I figure as long as I rig something to keep the transducer horizontal down the hole it should save me from buying the "iceducer"? Thanks as always

The inline fuse holders I can find all have wires already attached. How important is it to match this wire gauge to the gauge of wire that comes with the unit? I'm having a very hard time finding any help online about how to install this fuse, and can't even turn on my new toy without it installed. Please guys, I've been staring at this thing anxious to fire it up but don't want to risk voiding the warranty.
    I can't offer stays at the family cabin but I swear if you see a small blue Lund on Eagle come say hi and I'll share what I know to help pay back this forum for all the help I've had over the years!

When I wired my depth finder to my boat, I just used the standard gauge wire that was already being used for other electronic devices (don’t know the exact gauge?) and the in-line fuse wire matched that gauge of wire. I had to crimp that wire to the wire that came with the unit that I believe was a larger gauge. It has worked flawlessly for years.

I like my Garmin 840xs They work around 1500 dollars, but you need to buy a transducer (about $ 300 for a decent airmail). 1040xs is about 2000 dollars, more screen, but you still need to consider the converter.Also, I get a Humminbird 859 ci HD which has a 7 screen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_6275.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	2129
    Last edited by Jacks999; 01-25-2019 at 02:51 AM.

spam post above? electronics have come a long way since this post from 2014