Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revo Toro 60 HS

Revo Toro 60 HS

Anyone run the Revo Toro 60 HS for Blades last year? Will it handle the 10s or is that pushing it with the 6.4:1 ratio? Thanks.

Joe Olstadt

RE: Revo Toro 60 HS

I have a Toro 50HS(believe the only difference is the 60HS holds more line, gearing is the same on the 60HS and 50HS) and a Toro 60 winch. Bought them both last year, and have been very happy with my purchase. BUT, let me tell you, the HS is not a fun reel to run double 10's with. I use my 50 HS as my crank/bulldog reel and it does fine, but seems to take much more effort to bring in bucktails. On the other hand, my Toro 60 winch is an absolute dream to bring in the double 10's. Fished hard with that reel for days on end using cowgirls and the winch handle makes for a nice smooth retrieve. And she works just as well running crankbaits/topwater/bulldawgs.
    Now I love both reels, but, if I was to buy and use one reel for muskie fishing, I would go with the regular Toro 60 with the winch.

I use both 50's (5.4:1) and 60's (6.4:1). I've started using the 60 2 years ago on a sling blde for large blades (10's & 13's) and that is all I use for those big blades. Using the proper technique as Jim Saric demos on Musky Hunter, you will find that it is easy if you let the rod and reel do the work.

Just to note: Other than trolling reels, I have only used the Revo Toro's 50's and 60's for the past two years. Love the machine.

I used a 61HS this summer for blades when I wanted to burn them. It's a pain. When you're not burning them it's not too bad if you do it properly like the other guy said. I prefer my 401 TE for blades, though, unless I really want speed.

I i used the revo toro winch60 ratio 4:6:1 at the end of the season for big #'10's and large baits like the rubber dubber and hard head.
    i was very pleased.
    good luck

dannyboy

Little Arbor Vitae Lake, Arbor Vitae, WI.

I bought a Revo Toro Winch 60 last season and used it exclusively for double 10's. You cannot burn them with it, but it is by far the best reel I have used throwing double 10's.

Does anyone know where you can find the amount of line retrieved per handle turn on the Revo Toro HS reels as well as the winch model? I can't find it on the ABU website.

From the BassPro site

Revo Winch 20.6"
    Revo 60 26"
    Revo 60 HS 30.9"

I used the Revo Toro 61HS this past year, only played a couple times with double 10's, I cannot imagine any technique making that worthwhile, it's a killer unless you slowww rollem. Probably a good option at night, or a few other select times, when you need to be forced to slow down. Awesome jerkbait reel. Now I want a winch to replace my bowling ball(ABU-7000).
    -MULETRAIN

Thanks KenK.

So, now that I know that I can tell that you would have to reel very fast in order to move the 10’s real fast with the Winch. My Luna 300 brings in 23.6” and the Calcutta 400 brings in 24”. The Calcutta 400 TE is 25”. The Penn 975 is only 20”. So, you still have to give up speed in order to reel them in easy with the Winch. That’s ok depending on what you are looking for. Some guys swear that “burning” them makes a big difference at times. I would agree, especially in heavily fished waters. Here is where the Shimano Trinidad type reel shines as it brings in 36” to 46” depending on the model! And, the gear ratio seems to do it with ease unlike the HS Revo Toro.

Why can’t someone make a Trinidad type reel with a line guide and automatic engaging spool?