Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlock lures

Headlock lures

Finally found a dealer who had one. Pretty high dollar lure for sure. Any how for those who have had a chance to use the headlock what was your think of them. Mine is the 12 inch model & was told on the shallow setting it will run 15/16 feet on 80 pound braid. I would prefer it to be around 10 feet & maybe with a little experimenting I can get there.

I got a 12" Vermillion Special and trolled it a little last year but not much. This year I got a 10" White Rice. It will match the forage base here better and I think the size will be better from what we've experienced so far. I got high hopes for it this season. I'll tell you this. It you snag one in the shallow rocks and are trying to turn the boat around with high wind/waves and another boat heading towards your line with the $85 lure snagged up, you're heart is racing just as much as if a big musky's on the line. That same exact "please don't lose it, please don't lose it" is going through your head and that almost sick feeling in your stomach.

Ya,i agree about the snags. That's when you appreciate a good heavy hound dog. I have saved many of lures with them.

Three hours after my introduction to the Headlock, my partner boated a 49 pounder! That lure drove the guide nuts trying to figure out how deep it was running. I wouldn't try and change the lure if I were you...if you want to run shallower (and it does run up and down/back and forth) get a different lure. It works the way it is, leave it alone! Had two other fish hit it that same day...

Your right. I would not alder the lure design. I was thinking with a planer board I could get it to run a little more shallow if needed for a different look.

Are you planning to troll this bait? If so, it should run shallower with less line out, either straight behind the boat or on a shorter line behind a planer board. I don't have one, but I imagine the running depth is consistent with how other crankbaits work. Within reason, less line is shallower and more is deeper. I'm guessing you were given the max running depth it would run at on the shallow setting with a fair amount of line out.

Someday maybe I will own one but I haven't been able to bring myself to spend that much on a bait yet! I also don't troll a lot either.

I have two of these in transit to me....Hot Whitefish and Stressed Black Rice. Will be an interesting October trolling Eagle Lake.

I have never trolled a Muskie plug in my prop wash for any extended period of time. I may have to get over that mind set. Some thing about this plug tells me I am finally going to get my 50 first incher. Then if I lose it I wont cry to much. Ha.

If you want it to run shallower and still want to run it a bit further back you can always raise the rod tip up too. And as far as losing lures it seems like a lot of money for one lure when you buy it, but if that lure catches you a monster or fish of your dreams then at the end of the season you lose it or lose however many, just look at it as part of the cost of chasing these monsters. Would most guys spend $85 to catch a slob? Probably. You could easily spend that in one night at the bar and go home with nothing.

Other than shows, which I can't get to, where can I buy one?