Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wishful Thinking?

Wishful Thinking?

Bow mounted GPS/sonar displays are installed on the deck, which is very inconvenient. I've often thought it would be really nice if it were mounted higher.
    So why doesn't someone make a GPS/sonar display that mounts on (or is integrated into) the top of the trolling motor head? Such a configuration would make the display easier to read and use, would free up deck space and would allow for a smaller screen size.

What wishful thoughts have you had while fishing??
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

I agree it would free up deck space and make everything cleaner, but I can see a number of problems:

1. The trolling motor head tends to bounce in big waves. With a fishfinder on the TM head and thus more weight, I would presume it would bounce more. Would this be detrimental to the whole unit? (Of course, a RAM mount on the TM shaft would alleviate this somewhat.)
    2. When the TM head turns, would the screen now be at an angle that -- when combined with the sun -- makes it difficult to see and read?
    3. Smaller screen size is not beneficial, especially when trying to be precise in your boat control. On my last couple of boats, I've gone from a 7" front fishfinder screen to 9", and I won't be going back.

I always mount my front fishfinder on a RAM mount, which brings it up off the deck about six inches and leaves a small footprint (the RAM base) on the deck.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Agree an extended RAM and big screen would be the quick, simple solution. But it shouldn't take a NASA engineer to solve the other problems. The display unit would have to be ruggedized, and the screen mount would have to be independently stabilized from the TM turning. That's not even new technology. Military electronics have been ruggedized for years, and autopilot design could be applied to separate the screen position from the TM movement. In the end, the deciding factor would probably be cost. But still it would be an interesting consideration for whichever fishing electronics company wants to raise the bar.

Ipmaure

you must be a young buck with good eyes - i have a hummingbird 998 on my bow with the Ram mount and riser to raise it off the deck - takes no space at all and even if the unit wasn't there that part of the bow isn't use able space - more importantly i couldn't even imagine trying to read a smaller screen on my trolling motor head that is about 2ft forward of my current GPS/graph position with my 57 yr old eyes - even with reading glasses it would be an issue

rnovak

My wishful thought....I wish Ranger would add an intermediate step for stepping up and down to/from the front deck on their 621/620/619's.

I think to accomplish what you need you could attach a Ram mount to the bow of your boat next to your trolling motor and place your sonar unit there. I mount my sonar unit on a Ram mount near the front of the deck like Steve. Of course it's 12 inches so it's real easy to read!

I believe the future will see us wearing sunglasses that will wirelessly send a heads up display from our sonars to our sunglasses, all the info will be right in front of our faces!

And we will all look like the evil Borg out there.

Humminbird will offer the hive-mind interface module, so we all can function as a unit

There's Jim braggging about size again

You mistake me for fishers with 6" or 7" screens on their bow. I wear bifocals, which by the way, should be options on all good sunglasses. "Smaller" is relative to a 12" screen, which would be nice if the display is at your feet. A 7" or 9" unit on the TM head would work better than 12" screen on the deck, at least for me.