Thread: Abu Garcia Revo Beast

Abu Garcia Revo Beast

Anyone had their hands on this reel yet? I broke down and ordered one for my birthday. Can't wait to get it and wet a line wth it. Looks pretty good on paper. Have always been an Abu Garcia guy. I have several, one that I got close to 30 years ago, and still going strong.

It's light (9.4 oz)... looks a lot like a Revo Toro 50 with a beefed up handle and drag system. High speed (7.1:1) gears but modest (between standard Revo Toro and Revo Toro HS) retrieve rate (29 inches). Expensive at $349.95! Looks like a great spring reel for smaller-medium bucktails, jigs, twitch baits, jerk baits, etc.

I've still got ABU 6500C and 6000C reels from the 1970's too, noting they are noisy, but work just fine. I use them for sucker fishing, as they do have a good line out clicker.

For most of my fishing I've switched from ABU Revo Toro's to Daiwa Lexa 300 and 400 reels. Lexa 300's offer very similar casting and retrieve performance to Revo Toro 50's, but add magnetic cast control, and for less $$. Additionally, the Lexa 300 can be had in 5.1:1, 6.3:1 and 7.1:1 ratios... I've got all three, noting the low speed model can pull double 10's with ease, and the medium and high speed models are great for lures that don't pull so hard, and you only have to turn the handle on the high speed model about 1/2 crank per pull while retrieving a Suick.

Thanks Bruce! I found it on Amazon for $265 shipping included. My most used reel is a Revo Toro HS I aquired 4 years ago. Absolutely love it. I don't expect to throw pounders with it. I will leave that to the 6500.
    Last edited by douglaswood34; 11-25-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added content.

looks like a good bass reel on paper, small spool holds 180 yards of 12 lb mono (a toro 50 by contrast holds 200 yards of 14)...you will get about 100 yards of 80LB braid on that "Beast" reel, bomb cast and half your line is in the water, at that point your probably picking up 20" of line (maybe).. 7.1:1 gear ratio is not desirable for most muskie applications ... would make a good small bait reel (less than two .oz) spooled with 65 lb braid on a bass flippin stick rod. A Toro 60 is a much better choice for a muskie reel if you plan to throw "normal" size muskie baits - Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Justin C; 11-25-2014 at 10:32 PM.

The musky sized beast reel is not available to the public yet.

Is there going to be a musky sized beast?
    Dave