Thread: Help a newbie catch Musky fever

Help a newbie catch Musky fever

I've read some articals, watched the tv shows, now I get to fish for Musky! I just moved to western Wisconsin at the end of July and I'm JACKED to start Musky fishing. I've been on the water three times with no luck, no follows, nothing. I'm not discouraged, I know they call it Musky hunting for a reason. I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I have a hand full of lures, a couple of doubble cowgirls, jakes, Rapala magnums, bulldawgs and some Shumway spinner baits. What else could I add to this? I have fished Deer Lake and Bone Lake, they are the closest to me. What body of water woud be best for a new guy to learn Musky skills on? I dont have a problem driving a hour or two to get there. The water temp the last time I was on the water was 54 degrees, what efect does water temp have on Muskys? What publications can I read, viedos to watch?
    Any information to get me going would help.

Thanks, The New Guy
    Any day is a good day to fish

Might try a jerk bait (Manta) and a pull bait (wtd. Suick).

Quote Originally Posted by Walleyed65 View Post
    I've read some articals, watched the tv shows, now I get to fish for Musky! I just moved to western Wisconsin at the end of July and I'm JACKED to start Musky fishing. I've been on the water three times with no luck, no follows, nothing. I'm not discouraged, I know they call it Musky hunting for a reason. I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I have a hand full of lures, a couple of doubble cowgirls, jakes, Rapala magnums, bulldawgs and some Shumway spinner baits. What else could I add to this? I have fished Deer Lake and Bone Lake, they are the closest to me. What body of water woud be best for a new guy to learn Musky skills on? I dont have a problem driving a hour or two to get there. The water temp the last time I was on the water was 54 degrees, what efect does water temp have on Muskys? What publications can I read, viedos to watch?
    Any information to get me going would help.

Thanks, The New Guy
    The very BEST way to get into muskies is with a good guide. Hire a guy with a good reputation, and let him know that you are totally new to the sport. Fish with him and listen to what he says. You might not even like it, or you will get hooked, like the rest of us. Incidentally, it's a lot easier on the wallet if you never fish muskies again!

------ 9" weighted Suick ,,, "Bronze Perch" color pattern ------- jimjimjim

Suicks and Dadson baits are great. well made baits that you can throw all day. Id also suggest hiring a guide for a full day. Youll spend a bit of $, but will also use some quality gear from a very smart individual who hasa wide scope of Muskie knowledge. Also, read a couple of the books out there this winter - Saric and Heiting cam out with a new one recently. good luck, and tight lines!

There's way too much to cover with a message board post, but reading books and watching MHTV and DVDs during the off-season is a great idea. Never before have there been so many resources available to beginning musky fishermen. I'd suggest starting with The Complete Guide To Musky Hunting and then working your way up to Muskies My Way and Musky Strategy. http://www.muskyhuntercatalog.com/in...tegory&path=38

Deer and Bone are outstanding waters ... lots of fish with a shot at a good one. Some may tell you they're not as good as they used to be, and that may be true, but they are still pretty good lakes.

Water temp means everything to fish because they're cold-blooded. As temps fall in autumn, there is such a thing as fishing too fast. Usually when the water temps are in the high 40s to low 50s, you can find muskies over hard bottom areas just outside of weedbeds, and this is often in the 10-18 foot range depending on water clarity. The fish usually won't come up for your baits, so you have to get them down to them. Crankbaits, diver and glider jerkbaits, big plastics, and jig/reapers, as well as livebait, are what you should be using now.

One thing to keep in mind when watching MHTV or DVDs is that there is a lot of fishing condensed down into the 30- or 60-minute formats, which can make it seem a lot easier than it is. Don't let what appears to be easy success by others dampen your enthusiasm.

Welcome to the sport, and good luck.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Walleyed65

Like Steve said Bone and Deer are both good lakes for numbers and even some size. If you are interested in hiring a guide can I recommend Ryan McMahon. Ryan writes articles for MHM from time-to-time and guides some lakes in northwestern, Wisconsin. He is based in the Twin Cities and also guides the metro lakes and other lakes throughout Minnesota. You could learn a lot from him when it comes to targeting musky during the different seasons.

rnovak

Banned
    Hello,
    I am new here ... this post is great as here we would be able to share our problems to find the correct solutions..
    Good guide for newbie

Walleyed65 check your messages.