Thread: Custom Rods

Custom Rods

Hello Everyone,
    I am looking into Custom rods. My Question is what are your thoughts of the Predator blank that is designed by St Croix for Thorne Bros and most custom rod builders vs the same blank Legend Tourny? My understanding is the Predator is a little more moderate fast vs fast action. Pros and cons of each. And your favorite builder, I have been looking into Frank or Lonnie.

Predator is the best blank out there IMHO and the LTS St Croix are up there too; I have a MH, H, H with 2 off the tip and 6 added to the back, an XH+2 and an XXH+2. I also use a Sling Blade and Big Nasty. It really comes down to what you want to use it for. Bottom line you cant go wrong with either. I have used both Lonnie and Frank to build rods. Also can't go wrong with either. Lonnie is proably the best in the biz IMHO as he as inovated a number of things but Frank is a great builder as well. If you want fancy wraps and the like Frank is your guy, if your not in the market for an overly fancy looking rod i would go to Lonnie; again it really comes down to what you want the rod to do and how you want it to look.

The Predator blanks are top shelf in every way. It is hard to beat the experience and service that the Thorne Bros builders provide !

Have you had any hook set issues with the heavy since its a mod fast vs the fast actions of the Legends? Also can you throw small baits well with the heavy? Like early spring musky killers? For the XH is it between the Big Dawg and the Big Nasty?

I have had no issues witha stock H on Hooksets; infact in the hundreds of thounsands of casts I made never once even considered it. I have over 50 fish on my Stock 9 foor H. I throw anything from Dream Catchers to Cowgirls. You could toss small cranks with it all day long if you wanted in the spring. I won one of the acutions for Jason Hamemrnick last year for a custom Pred and had the 9(-2+6) H made and I have 10 fish on it this year. I use it for up to Super Models.

The XH is the best rod IMHO for tossing pounder and big cranks. I have never used a Big Dawg but the Big Nasty does almost as good of a job...

If you don't check into Paul Amberg's work when considering custom rods I think you would be making a mistake.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ventu...06804466099368