Thread: Which humminbird to buy!

Which humminbird to buy!

Gentelman, Looking for a new bow mount humminbird locator, have a 998ci hd si in the back. Was looking at last years 798 but feel the screen is to small, does it make sense to go with the 858c hd di. I realize it is last years model that way I do not need to get an adaptor. Two extra inches of screen plus not sure if I need the side imaging in the front. Definitely want to ethernet the two together. Your expert opinions would be greatly appreciated. Want to get this right! Thanks guys!

I have the 858 and it is a great unit, really picks up what is on bottom so you are not guessing what is down there. Rocks look like rocks, cribs look like cribs, trees look like trees.

Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations!" A lot of guys don't use their units much beyond trying not to hit the bottom with their prop. Honestly, it took two all-day sonar schools to get me beyond that modest level. If that's where you are, the cheapest unit will accomplish that and a whole lot more. If, on the other hand, you are committed to learning, and learning, and then learning some more......well, you should buy all you can afford. The newest, the biggest, most powerful and certainly one with side-imaging is then in order!

Hi:

I used 798s for years in the bow, but a couple years ago upgraded to the 958 (and now 959) for the larger screen, and I won't be going back. This is not a knock on the 798; rather, the wider screen of the 959 is much more advantageous. I outline reefs and other difficult-to-navigate fishing spots with waypoints, so when the wind is blowing and/or the light is low, all I need do is "connect the dots" on the screen and I'm now fishing where I need to be. The larger screen makes this easier.

The 958 and 858 are essentially the same units, with screen size being the difference.

I do not think you need two SI units -- the one on the console should be sufficient. Remember, SI and DI are sonar, and yield their most accurate images when your boat is moving at about 3-4 mph (much faster than when you're casting a spot). If you're scanning and moving slower, the sonar beam will keep bouncing off the same stuff and will not yield much definition. I use a console SI unit and scan shorelines and other fishing spots while driving the boat, and mark stuff for later with waypoints, which of course show up on the bow unit thanks to the Ethernet connection.

Be advised the Universal Sonar transducer in Minn Kota trolling motors will not yield SI or DI. You must attach the SI/DI transducer to the trolling motor head with a hose clamp mount.

HOWEVER, if you fish primarily from the back of the boat (like a guide), an SI unit in the bow can be helpful by providing advance notice of turns in the weed edge.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thank you to all who responded. It is a no brainer to go with the larger screen after having used smaller for so many years. My question to you Steve is with the DI is it best not then to have it on the bow or trolling motor if it is not going to read properly and then just go with an 858c hd version. Really liked the thought of having the DI up there for cribs, sunken rocks and brush etc.

Last weekend I was floating down a river at less than 1 mph and the rocks and boulders showed very well on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterDM View Post
    Thank you to all who responded. It is a no brainer to go with the larger screen after having used smaller for so many years. My question to you Steve is with the DI is it best not then to have it on the bow or trolling motor if it is not going to read properly and then just go with an 858c hd version. Really liked the thought of having the DI up there for cribs, sunken rocks and brush etc.
    Hunter, DI would be advantageous in the bow, but you need to use the SI/DI transducer and hoseclamp it to the trolling motor head. It will read just fine in this arrangement. It's just that it cannot be used with Universal Sonar.

Quote Originally Posted by badgers321 View Post
    Last weekend I was floating down a river at less than 1 mph and the rocks and boulders showed very well on the screen.
    Badgers, it certainly can be used at slower speeds. But as with any sonar, you will get your best images and definition at slightly more speed.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thank you Badgers for your comments and once again Thank you Steve for your expertise. This is the type of help and knowledge I was looking for before buying. Didn't want to get out there and find out that it is not doing what I was hoping for!

Buy as big as you can afford.

I need do is "connect the dots" on the screen and I'm now fishing where I need to be. The larger screen makes this easier.

The 958 and 858 are essentially the same units, with screen size being the difference.

I do not think you need two SI units -- the one on the console should be sufficient. Remember, SI and DI are sonar, and yield their most accurate images when your boat is moving at about 3-4 mph (much faster than when you're casting a spot). If you're scanning and moving slower, the sonar beam will keep bouncing off the same stuff and will not yield much definition. I use a console SI unit and scan shorelines and other fishing spots while driving the boat, and mark stuff for later with waypoints, which of course show up on the bow unit thanks to the Ethernet connection.

Be advised the Universal Sonar transducer in Minn Kota trolling motors will not yield SI or DI. You must attach the SI/DI transducer to the trolling motor head with a hose clamp mount.
    Save your time and get on time success in Palm Beach Atlantic University and ccna exam exams by using our latest CISCO and other superb exam pass resources of Princeton University and Youtube.