Thread: Top Waters..Your thought's

Question Top Waters..Your thought's

I'm sure all You Guy's will agree that there ain't nothing more exciting than "Getting a good one on Top". Getting to be My favorite "Top Water" time down here in KY. I was sharpening some hooks on top-waters & really started noticing how "Imaginative" some of these Lure's are! I mean look at the "Hog Wobbler" & the "Creeper's" & some other's..makes You wonder how the ideas for these lures came up? Was it "Genius" or "Long Winters Up North" or "Necessity" that got these "Minds" Crankin' these lures out? Question is..which Top-Water do You think is "Most Imaginative" & which is "Most Effective" for You? We all know that if Ya convert 50% of the "Hit's" into "Hook-Ups" You are in good shape! At least that's about My Ratio. How bout the other Musky Hunter's?

Lee Tauchen's baits: Top H20 & water Chopper.

Nice topic,
    Of interest to collectors, those whom like history also.

"most imaginative" - going back in history/top water/Esox. You have to credit fly tiers/ fly fisherman as before hardware there was bait
    fishing and fly fishing predominately and little lures as we know them today. Fly fisher's/tyers "hair bugs" (spun deer belly hair ) trimmed as poppers,sliders,etc. with tails were amongst the first. Around 1900 spoons and spinners for sub-surface were modified for a technique referred to as "skitter" or "skittering" - "this involved a stiff long pole, a skiff and either a spoon or spinner. The fisherman would locate near a weed bed or lilly pads and "skitter" rapidly across the top of the weeds, pausing in openings to excite the muskellunge " (Ward 32)

Some time later plugs.

My votes -

* For wood/plugs - The Fred Arbogast = Jitterbug. The cupped lip creating a gurgle,bubble plus walk the dog motion…….is/was something.

* For Hair/Fly's - Larry Dahlberg - Dahlberg Diver. Probably over a hundred years plus sense the first bass/pike hair bug fly………….he simply trimmed it into a different shape…………..based on experience he had with Musky plugs…………and that changed a lot minds for evermore as it would dive down upon strip, taking air bubbles with it and rise/glide back up.

* For Tin Blades & Spoons - My vote goes to whom ever came up with the buzz bait.

Plenty of notable others for above but these get my vote for "most imaginative" while being effective, long term and not a strange contraption which came and went because it did not work well.

The "most effective" - I think it depends on the water conditions at the time along with river/lake,etc. It's whatever you have the most "mojo" good/like feeling in………………I think thats half of it right there in regards to topwater,

Hope to see some collectable/collection photos…………..

anything from Greg Nimmer from Tomahawk WI
    if you are a top water nut he does an amazing job, caught a lot of musky on his baits
    he has a website also
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jjm msky View Post
    anything from Greg Nimmer from Tomahawk WI
    if you are a top water nut he does an amazing job, caught a lot of musky on his baits
    he has a website also
    good luck
    Man You got that right! The Man is an artist..met Him in 2005 while working at R&H..talk about "imaginative" & oh so effective! lil' pricy to some Folks but well worth the buck's! also Greg is such a nice Guy every Lure He makes is an "Original"..Glad You mentioned Him.. thats what this thread is about.