Thread: NW Angle LOTW October

NW Angle LOTW October

My nephew and I are heading to the Angle for the third week of October. We will mostly troll big Jakes and Kraves along island shorelines, and we've done pretty well over the years with this pattern. This year, he wants to try heaving big dawgs at the points and old weed beds, plus he insists we bring some double cowgirls to throw as well. I am taking a couple of the new trolling DCG's and will give them a whirl on a few of our traditional trolling runs. Any advice on where to throw the "summer" baits in cold water?

Early October or late October? Late October id say the same areas but out deeper on the secondary structure but that depends on baitfish. Slow down with retrieve. Read Mike Hulbert's article in last years fall issue of musky hunter magazine and study it. I forced myself to fish that way and it paid off for me last year on mille lacs.

Muskies will typically be using the same spots, but instead of casting shallow you need to work your baits deeper, as Trav said. Instead of 2-6 feet, the fish will likely be holding in 6-10, or maybe even a little deeper. I'd skip the dead weedbeds unless you get a very warm, sunny afternoon. Fish that are on nearby points and breaklines may slide shallow to take advantage of the warmer water.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks. I dug out my fall Musky Hunter mags from the last several years, and re-read Mike Hulbert's articles on casting big rubber baits on a select few spots. I have a few in mind. Now just need the temperatures to get lower and get the water temp into the preferred range. Three more weeks to go.

Rick:

I have caught many fish casting in October (that's all we did for many years, lots of nice fish). In general the fish are in the same areas we would find them the rest of the year. Many times old weed beds would hold many fish (I once caught six fish over 40" in one bay with dead weeds in one day, to 48"). At times it seems like there are concentrations of fish in areas which is probably do to food movement, but who really knows? There seems to be some areas that are good year after year. Most of our late fall casting baits were Jerk baits (mostly suicks) or 10" believers. We got a few on bucktails but really didn't try them much. Never used the big plastics but would guess they would work. I can give you a few areas to try.

Doug Johnson
    Last edited by dougj; 09-30-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougj View Post
    Rick:

I have caught many fish casting in October (that's all we did for many years, lots of nice fish). In general the fish are in the same areas we would find them the rest of the year. Many times old weed beds would hold many fish (I once caught six fish over 40" in one bay with dead weeds in one day, to 48"). At times it seems like there are concentrations of fish in areas which is probably do to food movement, but who really knows? There seems to be some areas that are good year after year. Most of our late fall casting baits were Jerk baits (mostly suicks) or 10" believers. We got a few on bucktails but really didn't try them much. Never used the big plastics but would guess they would work. I can give you a few areas to try.

Doug Johnson

Rick, I'd take what Doug said and RUN with it!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks Doug. I just unpacked a few baits to make room for a few more Suicks and Believers. I'm going to try to paint a big Believer in your Otto pattern, shown in an old In-Fisherman article. I guess car paint works best? I'll send you an e-mail.

Rick