1 TopRaider
    1 Jake
    2 Beliievers
    1 DepthRaider
    2 Suick Thrillers
    1 Regular Bull Dawg
    1 Fudally Reef Hawg
    1 Black Dog Lunker Punker

I am thinking about getting a creeper lure. Have you folks had much luck with them? If so what one?

Cheers!
    Last edited by AlwaysHopeful; 01-25-2016 at 12:29 PM.

I found a local store that has Lelure Creepers in red and black crackle or plain red (the packaging looks aged, the clear plastic has yellowed). I have noticed some people here like Lelure's. These are the only creepers in town. Anything else will have to be purchased online.... Will wait for your recommendations first!

A Creeper can be a great bait to use when you're fishing a spot known to hold big fish, or you have a big fish spotted. My biggest on one is 49.5", and we had raised it an hour or two earlier and knew exactly where it was. The bait happened to be a LeLure Creeper, so if you want a Creeper I'd say buy one or two of what you found in the store.

Otherwise, a Creeper is not one of my faves. First, I don't like to fish that slowly unless I HAVE to, and secondly I seem to have lost a disproportionate number of fish on them. A Hawg Wobbler might be a better choice because it is an effective bait for a specific big fish or big fish spot, but with the jointed design tends to hook up a little better.

BTW, you've done a great job of choosing lures so far. While musky fishermen tend to be fascinated by lures, remember they are nothing more than tools to fish specific depths, cover/structure, and speeds.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Real Cool bait.. like Steve said .. poor hooking percentage tho. Also tough (For Me) to fish that S-L-O-W.

Now that you have looked at my list of lures Steve, is there a glaring omission, lure wise, that would be useful. Looks like a creeper is not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHopeful View Post
    I am new to Musky fishing and having a blast with it. Coming up will be my first fall season going after these fish. So far my lures are:

3 Muskie Bucktails
    1 TopRaider
    1 Jake
    2 Beliievers
    1 DepthRaider
    2 Suick Thrillers
    1 Regular Bull Dawg
    1 Fudally Reef Hawg
    1 Black Dog Lunker Punker

I am thinking about getting a creeper lure. Have you folks had much luck with them? If so what one?

Cheers!
    I keep a few... Hi-Fin solid and jointed and a Slammer, if I recall correctly. I've seen mid-August, hot and still, where nothing was moving, but eventually I got a 40 incher up on a creeper. I did find the next evening that a jig/plastic worked right at sundown. I have lost some fish, including good ones, that whacked my creeper right at first dark, which I have found to be a great time, right over a rock reef.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHopeful View Post
    Now that you have looked at my list of lures Steve, is there a glaring omission, lure wise, that would be useful. Looks like a creeper is not a good idea.
    I'm not saying the Creeper is a bad lure. It's one more lure style that may work. I usually carry one with me at all times. You named 13 lures and you were looking to add a bait. A Creeper wouldn't be in my top 15 or 20, but it is in my top 25.

I tune them so they "run," meaning that they'll work with a relatively fast retrieve. Now, I'm not going to fish them fast, but if my Creeper can run, it will work well even when there's a chop on the water.

Glaring omission? I can't tell when you list three bucktails without naming specifics because blade size and style, and overall lure size, are hugely important. And what size is the Jake? A 6" or 8" Jake is a great lure for a newcomer to the sport because they'll catch fish big and small and work in lots of situations. A 10" Jake is more limited in its application but is a big fish lure. Same thing goes for the Suicks. The 7" model is a great early season or cold front bait. The 9" or 10" models are more all-around type baits. The 12" is a big fish bait that can be worked much more deeply than the others.

A reference you may wish to check out is the chapter, "25 Musky Lures You Shouldn't Be Without" in The Complete Guide To Musky Hunting. The 25 I name in the chapter cover every application ... of course, as you add colors and lures that are similar, but slightly different to those named, that's when the sport gets expensive.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I say a big Yes! That particular red crackle Le lure creeper (aka the Red Baron) is one of my favorite lures. Have caught multiple fish on it. Have never had trouble hooking up personally. These other guys know more, but it has been a consistent producer for me.

IMHO, I would add a Hawg Wobbler before a Creeper.

I would take a RyLure globe over a creeper any day of the week.