Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Naming fishing spots

Naming fishing spots

We all do it -- naming favorite musky fishing spots. While some spots are named on the map, most are nameless, so naming your own spots helps communicate where you want to fish with your partner(s). In some cases such names bring back good memories, sometimes bad.

Typically, I name a spot if somebody caught a big fish from a spot, or if something particularly memorable occurred there. Some were named by others and the name is known throughout a fishing camp.

Here are some of my favorites: Red Car, Greedy B*st*rd, Hookedfinger Point, Gillnet, Mike's Bay, Opposite Wall, Jingle Point, Spence's Island, Bacon & Eggs, Slide Bar, Pitts, Gatekeeper, Split Ring, Blindeye, Beebops, Kentucky Boys, 2 O'Clock Rock, Mills Bay, Charlie's Point (aka Heartbreak Point), Jim's Island, Goalpost Island, New Wall, Mouse Island, Libby Island, Knob Rock, Triangle Bay, and REED Point (must be capitalized). I have others, but you get the idea.

One I've never been particularly comfortable with is Heiting's Reef on Eagle Lake in Ontario. Yes, it's where I caught my first 50-incher, but it's one of those spots you MUST fish when on that lake. People before and after me have caught bigger fish there. Still, every year I hear from people who fished Heiting's Reef.

What are some of your favorites?
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Motorola Point- a good spot and you could get a weak signal there.
    Booty Bay- after a shapely girl sunning on a pier there.
    Castle Grayskull- what can I say we watched a lot of He-Man cartoon as kids.

The Old Boat ( The boathouse was gone before I started fishing there), Big Pine Tree, Dogfish Point, Cement Palace, 40 Something Bay, Bikini Dock ( My Favorite).

Dan's bay.........happened to meet a guy I know from home while fishing on a lake one day which was 100 miles from home. Told me he caught muskies in the bay where we were chewing the fat. One of the first times I went there after talking to him I caught one..........now forever known as Dan's bay.

Squad and Bandit ... thanks for reminding me of Bikini Island and Crazy Lady Island. (I think you understand why they were so named. )
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post

One I've never been particularly comfortable with is Heiting's Reef on Eagle Lake in Ontario. Yes, it's where I caught my first 50-incher, but it's one of those spots you MUST fish when on that lake. People before and after me have caught bigger fish there. Still, every year I hear from people who fished Heiting's Reef.

What are some of your favorites?
    Heiting's Reef is my favorite. Got a 48 followed by a 51 two hours later, and hooked & lost an even bigger one later that day on Halloween 2001. I'm glad to call it Heiting's Reef.

Monkey boy island -- my sons largest musky, 48.5 inches, monkey boy becaus he can't sit still.

Moterguide -- Mushy hit the lower unit of our Moterguide. This has happened to us twice!

On Eagle Lake as well, we have a spot called Pliers Hump- one of our group tossed his pliers overboard there instead of the small walleye that he unhooked with them with. The guides call another Crescent Wrench reef - I can only assume for a similar reason. Still waiting to catch a monster and have a spot named after me. I don't suppose you would be willing to divulge the location of Heiting's Reef??? Always looking for quality spots.

The "Hawg Trough" on Lake Vermilion

Of all my named waypoints, my favorite is the one that says Dad50...it marks the spot where fishing with my dad, he caught and released a 50lb Striper fishing in the Cumberland River. Memory of a Lifetime! Thanks for the thread Steve!