Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerk on the Detroit River kills a muskie for no good reason

Jerk on the Detroit River kills a muskie for no good reason

Check this video out. This happened a few days ago. After reading the comments, I think several people have contacted the MNR about this.

http://youtu.be/ZzdesfXfaTY

It is worth raising awareness about, if nothing else, so in the future people will have an idea about how to deal with these incidents and report them to authorities. This goes for any kind of fish anywhere. It's a real shame that people out there do this.

-Chris

Just a warning ... if anybody is offended by profanity, there is a fair amount of it in this video clip. However, I'm going to leave the link up.

I hope the MNR has a talk with this individual ... and writes him a ticket!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

There is no point in trying to talk sense to a complete idiot like this! Great job in documenting this abuse Chris. I hope a couple thousand dollars in fines and loss of fishing privileges may show him the light.....probably not. SAD!! The depth of moronic behavior by some individuals never ceases to amaze me.

More of this goes on than We'd like to think! Have a lot of Bass Tourny's on My Lake & every now & then someone hooks a Muskie by accident gets PO'd and decides to kill it.. usual method is by stabbing It.. real Sportsman Eh? One day a Guy asked Me "Why did They stock Them in this lake?" I told Him that the Muskies are Native to these waters ..He told Me I was full of "IT"! I told Him to go fish a few of the Hundreds of lakes in this State that don't have Them . Make's You wonder.. How Freakin' Ignorant can Folk's get?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Check this video out. This happened a few days ago. After reading the comments, I think several people have contacted the MNR about this.

http://youtu.be/ZzdesfXfaTY

It is worth raising awareness about, if nothing else, so in the future people will have an idea about how to deal with these incidents and report them to authorities. This goes for any kind of fish anywhere. It's a real shame that people out there do this.

-Chris
    Unfortunately, this guy isn't alone. Back in the early 80's I was living in Madison, and fished Wingra some. I ran into a guy who fished a lot for bass who told me he clubbed every legal musky he caught and threw them out on the bank along the road. He was proud that one day he had killed a 48 inch and 42 inch fish... said it was good for the bass population. There are a lot of people who think we have too many muskies, and I don't think they will easily be convinced otherwise.

The story continues: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...&__federated=1

Go get him, MNR!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

The musky-killer has apologized. He claims in this article that he releases all the muskies he catches, yet in the video he says he kills them all.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/ac...-confrontation
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

The guy is a Jag, back peddling Liar!!! Video does not lie. Don't they have size limits in CA??

We all go out in search of the jerk on the end of the line. Then we learn the jerk can occur on either end of the line. I recently sat in a watering hole on Mille Lacs Lake and was implored by "locals" at the bar to "PLEASE" slit open the belly of any (walleye killing) musky I happened to catch so it could die. My boat partner tried to tell these fellas some facts about musky diet. They weren't about to listen. Bigotry is no different on the water than it is anywhere else. It's ignorance, plain and simple, and the only antidote is education. And, like with old dogs and tricks, you're better off teaching the pups. Quality information transmitted through quality education to the young is the only way we get rid of this sort of thing.

well said Junkman, well said.