Thread: Solid Rings

Wink Solid Rings

I make My own leaders .. been using ball brg. swivels on them .. want to make some with just solid rings..I've Googled it to death just get "dead ended". Was wondering if any of My Fellow "Muskie Nuts" could turn Me onto a Supplier. Appreciate any help. Thanks, Mike.

Contact: John Bette. His e-mail address is: muskihntr@sbcglobal.net
    He makes the best leaders money can buy and buys the solid rings in bulk. He will sell you some.

How do you use solid rings on a leader? I make my own leaders using only a swivel and a snap.
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

Use it in place of the swivel ..less weight. Helps with Top-Water applications..You actually don't need a swivel if the lure does not revolve : a in-line spinner does, a "hair pin" spinner doesn't..a Crank bait doesn't most top-waters don't revolve. If You're using wire You can tie direct to the "eye"..depending on the thickness of the wire..but I do not like to do that. If You' re using Floro or Mono You must use a swivel or solid ring. I use Stringease Snaps on all My leaders.
    Last edited by MIKE.KY.; 08-30-2014 at 08:49 AM.

That's a good application. I've used swivels to help keep fish from twisting the line. Muskies and Pike are notorious for rolling during the fight. But apparently that's not a major concern. I think I'll try some solid rings on my leaders too at least for topwater baits where the less weight would be a big advantage.
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

One application where swivels will save you from line twist is if You fish with a Spinning Rod combo .. My Wife will only use Spinning gear (just can't get the Baitcaster thing down) so She always has a leader with a quality BB swivels. for all lures. I've also found the "Solid Rings" Rollie & Helen's got 'em..used to work there 8yrs ago..You would think that would've ck'd there first! Brain Cramp on My part..thanks to all for the feedback, Mike.
    Last edited by MIKE.KY.; 08-30-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE.KY. View Post
    I make My own leaders .. been using ball brg. swivels on them .. want to make some with just solid rings..I've Googled it to death just get "dead ended". Was wondering if any of My Fellow "Muskie Nuts" could turn Me onto a Supplier. Appreciate any help. Thanks, Mike.
    I think R&H has a couple of brands of solid rings in stock right now, in different sizes. I think Cabelas has them too.

I've made some leaders with a solid ring on the lure end of the leader, attaching to a split ring on the lure, and I've also recently made a couple solid wire leaders where I've used the ring on the upper end of the leader instead of a BB swivel, with a Stay-Loc snap on the lure end. (for gliders... seems to work nicely with a 6 inch Phantom SoftTail!)

Found em at R&H on Sat..goofiest thing of all is I worked at R&H 8yrs. ago We didn't carry the solids then..when I got on Their web site I was looking in the terminal tackle sec. they are in with leaders etc. Different leaders for different applications.. another tool !! Need all the help We can get Pursuing these "Cagey Critters".

owner also carries solid rings as well as their hyper split rings which are salt water tough. I'm a big fan of eliminating excess hardware and employ solid rings on rigs fairly often if line twist isn't an issue.

http://www.ownerhooks.com/accessories.htm
    Last edited by Mastertangler; 09-02-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Also Thorne Bros and Moore's Lures has them as well.

Fish alone will NOT twist the line enough to warrant a swivel. The line twist comes into play when fishing with blades and some jerks, cranks, and tail or other topwates that has rotating parts on them. I use solid rings in place of snaps as they are the weakest link in your terminal tackle. Of course, I use either swivels with cable wire or single strand that is directly tied to a loop on the wire. Using a larger diameter (>.030 dia.) wire I will just make a loop to attach of the split ring on the nose of the bait that always remains on the bait. Smaller diameter wire has (or can) a tendency to wiggle out of the split ring and I use a solid ring rather than the looped wire.