Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Climate Change? Believe or not?

I think there has been climate change going on as long as the world is old. There had to be climate change to find fish fossils in a desert today. In a geology class in the early 80's we found sharks teeth in the rock quarries west of LaSalle, IL. When I was growing up in the 3rd grade I remember our science teacher talking about how the sun is burning out and we will be in another ice age. Kinda scary for a 3rd grader!

It's obvious that there is always change going on whether it's climate or evolution. I just don't believe that you can say that it's all been because of man's impact on the world. After all, modern man has not been on this planet all that long, all things considered....

Absolutely, change is happening!!! However, the sky is not falling!!! For those of you with short memories on the extreme weather patterns. If you actually look at the data for the last 20, 30, or 40 years. You will not find anything different in the weather patterns today to call our weather extreme. What you will find is better and more equipment to track the weather. In the days of instant everything, we know more about the weather. That itself does not make it extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Absolutely, change is happening!!! However, the sky is not falling!!! For those of you with short memories on the extreme weather patterns. If you actually look at the data for the last 20, 30, or 40 years. You will not find anything different in the weather patterns today to call our weather extreme. What you will find is better and more equipment to track the weather. In the days of instant everything, we know more about the weather. That itself does not make it extreme.
    Great point. With today's instant media, we are informed of everything — weather, catastrophes, war, whatever — instantly. Thirty years ago we maybe saw images of the bad weather and its results if the national news deemed it worthy, or we read about it in the newspaper a couple days after it happened — again, if the paper had room. Sometimes today's world can seem overwhelming but if you look at history objectively, many of it is same-old, same-old.

I'm not blaming the media. If consumers didn't want it, the media wouldn't provide it. It's just the way the world has become.

I, too, remember being told by teachers that the sun was burning out. Then there was discussion of the next ice age.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Angry

[QUOTE=Steve Heiting;57769]Great point. With today's instant media, we are informed of everything — weather, catastrophes, war, whatever — instantly. Thirty years ago we maybe saw images of the bad weather and its results if the national news deemed it worthy, or we read about it in the newspaper a couple days after it happened — again, if the paper had room. Sometimes today's world can seem overwhelming but if you look at history objectively, many of it is same-old, same-old.

I'm not blaming the media. If consumers didn't want it, the media wouldn't provide it. It's just the way the world has become.

I, too, remember being told by teachers that the sun was burning out. Then there was discussion of the next ice age

Steve, was that class during the first Ice Age?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Buhler View Post
    Steve, was that class during the first Ice Age?
    And you expect me to do a good job with the net next week?
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    And you expect me to do a good job with the net next week?
    Sure hope Steve H doesn't freeze on the net job. Or he'll get the cold shoulder and think he's in the next ice age.

Steve.. I believe You are "right on" with the Media..too much news. I'm 67 yrs. old & when I was a "Kid" the News was on TV twice a day (6pm & 10pm.) for 1/2 an hour which seemed sufficient, now its on 24/7. My feelings about "Climate Change" have not been formed by Media influence but by what I physically feel. Got to think that maybe My age has something to do with it, grew up in Chicago.. in Winter always ice skating, playing hockey (all outdoors), shoveling neighbors snow for pocket money..never was bothered by the cold. In summer always playing ball, going to the beach, cutting grass for pocket money, the heat never bothered Me like it does now. I think its the "Geezer Syndrome". Neighbors & Farmers I've talked to think the climate is getting "Extreme" .. but They're "Geezers" too! "Climate Change" real or not Best We can all do is "Keep the Planet Clean" for future generations .

I'll have to use that one! Geezer Syndrome! I was born and raised in Chicago too and still live here and I remember it the same as you. Heat and Cold were nothing to me and I lived through the blizzard of 67 and all the hot-humid summers and it never bothered me as it does now.

Too much geezing goin on here….
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by lpmaure View Post
    Too much geezing goin on here….
    Watch it Sonny..I'll run Ya down with My "Power Chair"!