Thread: Braid

Braid

I am using 50lb Suffix 832 on one of my combos is that enough for musky? Is there a general consensus on what brand is preferred and what lb test?

I love Suffix 832. I however use 80# simply because if you have the unfortunate opportunity to have a "professional overrun" you better hope you're throwing a floater..... Also use Spiderwire Stealth, 65, and 80#.

Suffix 832 in 80 lbs test is on my reels, switched out of Power Pro last year and very happy with Suffix.

I'd feel comfortable with 50lb if balanced with a lighter rod, lighter baits, and fishing lakes that would be considered "action" lakes. I use 100lb Power Pro exclusively on LOTW and GB. I like the confidence it gives me when fishing rocks on LOTW. Also for dealing with big fish that are possible in both locations. And also for casting big baits at both locations. Tom

I have been using Hi-Seas Grandslam Braid for the last 4 seasons, I like it a lot best line I have used. I use 80# for everything but my pounder rod then I use #100
    Jeff Hanson
    madisonmuskyguide.com

I have been using 80# Cortland Masterbraid since it came out and see NO reason to change! It is different than all the other braids and can't be beat in my humble opinion.

Muskie regards,
    Larry Ramsell
    www.larryramsell.com

Suffix 832 gets My vote..before 832 I used Suffix Performance Braid which was also excellent. Been using Suffix products for 5 yrs. now, Power Pro for years before that, it was decent. I use 65# or 80# for most applications biggest on 65# was 50 1/2", 80# 49.5" My Wife uses a Muskie Spinning combo with 50# Suffix 832 Her biggest was 52" !! She mostly throws spinnerbaits or cranks, Go Figure Huh? Don't throw any "Big Rubber" might want 100# for that. Choose # test according to the weight of the Lure You'll be throwing is My suggestion.
    Last edited by MIKE.KY.; 08-27-2014 at 12:01 PM.

You're probably Ok if fishing lakes with just vegetation. If fishing lakes/rivers with timber and/or rocks, you'll need more.