Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow Mount Trolling Motor Selection Advice

Bow Mount Trolling Motor Selection Advice

Hi All,

I recently acquired a 16.5 foot Lund Rebel Adventure (aluminum hull) and am looking to put a bow mount trolling motor on it. The boat only has room for one battery and is not exceedingly heavy, so I was thinking about a 12V motor such as the Minn Kota Maxxum with 55 lb thrust, a cable drive foot pedal and a long shaft. I just graduated from college so I can't afford I-Pilot or GPS capabilities on any motor.

Does anyone have any different suggestions about motors other than this one, or experience with them that might say I should go in a different direction? Basically, I figure you have more experience with these than I do and I am wondering if you have any recommendations. I want to get a good quality motor that will last, and be effective, but I don't necessarily need a lot of bells and whistles that would drive up the price unless you think they are really important.

Also, does it matter whether the motor is mounted on the left or right side of the bow? I have never used a bow mount before and saw that boat covers need to be fitted for a certain side. What would be the advantage of having it on one side instead of the other?

I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

Thanks,

Chris

That is the conundrum. The boat isn't that heavy so it wont take much to move it, but it will blow around pretty easy so often times you will be working the trolling motor a lot.

Chris,
    I have a 18' Crestliner Canadian not very heavy either but she sits very high in the water the wind can be a problem but nothing that my minn kota v1 power drive with auto pilot can't handle. It is a 55# 12volt and i have fished in high winds, two to three foot waves. It will use more battery power but what trolling motor wouldn't use more power doing that. Also the auto pilot is great, point in a direction and it goes, I use the copilot also I wear it on my wrist. I am not very good at the foot pedal, it looked like a drunken monkey was driving the boat. I still hear my dad laughing at me.
    My motor is a refurbished one from minn kota, I have add it for ten years or so. I don't know how many hours it has but is a ton and I have had zero problems.
    Cabela's sells them you can also look on line, I got mine from a marina outside chicago and saved a few hundred dollars from a new one. You also may check out any marina's around you for a used one, guys are always upgrading
    you may get lucky, good luck I hope this helped.
    jason

I have a 17.5 foot tiller Sea Nymph aluminum deep v and use a Powerdrive with 55lbs thrust 12v and have no problems. Have not had a problem with power and it holds its charge very well all day in rough water and never more then half discharged. I might suggest an on board charger. I currently am running an AGM battery for the trolling motor. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Hi All,

I recently acquired a 16.5 foot Lund Rebel Adventure (aluminum hull) and am looking to put a bow mount trolling motor on it. The boat only has room for one battery and is not exceedingly heavy, so I was thinking about a 12V motor such as the Minn Kota Maxxum with 55 lb thrust, a cable drive foot pedal and a long shaft. I just graduated from college so I can't afford I-Pilot or GPS capabilities on any motor.

Does anyone have any different suggestions about motors other than this one, or experience with them that might say I should go in a different direction? Basically, I figure you have more experience with these than I do and I am wondering if you have any recommendations. I want to get a good quality motor that will last, and be effective, but I don't necessarily need a lot of bells and whistles that would drive up the price unless you think they are really important.

Also, does it matter whether the motor is mounted on the left or right side of the bow? I have never used a bow mount before and saw that boat covers need to be fitted for a certain side. What would be the advantage of having it on one side instead of the other?

I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

Thanks,

Chris
    I'm satisfied with my PD 55 with foot pedal, which I purchased about 4 years ago now. I fish almost daily through the season and have had no issues, noting it also deploys and stows easier than my earlier PD 50.

I bought the long shaft, though I've got mine on a Tuffy Esox LTD, which doesn't require the long shaft.

I've got mine on the left side, but wish it was on the right when I have two people in the boat, as I fish from the back, and usually out of the left side of the boat, and find the person in the front often blocks my view of the trolling motor, making it more difficult to keep on the right track. (I don't like to fish out of the right side, as that's where my seat is, and where I keep my tackle boxes, net, etc.)

I've got a 16.5 Fisher V hull tiller.. My MotorGuide bow-mount Died after 17 seasons! I wanted a Variable speed 12 volt ..Foot control to replace it MotorGuide only makes 24 volt var. speed so i got a MinnKota Maxxum 55 lb foot control, 2 nd. season with it and I love it! I also have a MinnKota on board charger and an Optima AGM battery , I can fish all day, come home , plug it in and be fully recharged in 3-4hrs or less. I highly recommend the MinnKota ..0 problems so far..lots of use .. long season down here in Kentucky. Mine is mounted on the left side where the original motor was, Battery & charger are in right frt. compartment for balance.
    Last edited by MIKE.KY.; 08-21-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Chris,
    Think you are getting some great advice and really agree you should get a long shaft.
    I would only add get a high quality (expensive) RV battery with the largest cold cranking amp capacity you can find to complement your Minn Kota charger and you will be very happy! This what I have on my 17 ft Lund Pro Sport though its a 24 volt system not a 12.

Good Fishin

Thank you for all of the advice! I appreciate it! I will definitely look into an onboard charger, and an AGM battery if and when my current battery takes a turn for the worse. Long shaft sounds like the way to go too.

Good luck this fall,

Chris

Chris,

Not sure about your budget, but lots of guys are constantly upgrading. If you shop around the used market you might be able to save quite a bit and get more than you think.

Auto Pilot is pretty common on the older Power Drives and the Co-Pilot is a pretty easy upgrade. Two years ago I sold a 24V 70lb Powerdrive/Auto Pilot/US2 Transducer and included the batteries for $450. It was just too small for my boat.

Blair

Chris,

I have a 55 Minn Kota 12 volt on my 16.5 foot Alumacraft, has plenty of get up and go in the wind.