Thread: Dog days in the dog house

Dog days in the dog house

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but these are the days when my rods are put away for 6-8 weeks and I am paying back Mrs. Junkman for her longsuffering patience during my musky chasing. Then I found myself on favorite waters this weekend with temps 71 in the mornings and never above 75 in the afternoon (THE THIRD WEEK OF JULY)....and I'm thinking.....maybe (just maybe) no summer shut down this year. Sure, she might decide it's time for a younger guy....but that's musky fishing.

No worries Marty. If the wife gets antsy, just remind her about The Golden Rule.

"He who has the gold, makes the rules !"

Quote Originally Posted by junkman View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you guys, but these are the days when my rods are put away for 6-8 weeks and I am paying back Mrs. Junkman for her longsuffering patience during my musky chasing. Then I found myself on favorite waters this weekend with temps 71 in the mornings and never above 75 in the afternoon (THE THIRD WEEK OF JULY)....and I'm thinking.....maybe (just maybe) no summer shut down this year. Sure, she might decide it's time for a younger guy....but that's musky fishing.
    I've been fishing shallow lakes, and even they haven't been more than 75 during the heat of the day, and typically have dropped to 71 or so by sunset. I'm heading out shortly, but suspect water temps may be in the upper 60's this morning. My wife just this morning said maybe August is going to be cool too? Don't know, but I'm not complaining, noting that weed growth has recently max'd... probably 2-3 weeks later than normal. I haven't been fishing a lot, but also not having a lot of action. I did see a larger than normal tail of a fish that followed a couple of weeks ago. I supposed it's also getting time to do some staining of the house. (ick)

The icy wrath is always more tolerable when you got the net wet. That said, patterns are a little skewed this year. My pre-dog day 'trolling fool' outburst hasn't hit yet.

Quote Originally Posted by junkman View Post
    As expected, water temps on shallow lake were 69-70 this morning. Caught one short musky shortly after arriving around 10 AM... disappointed I didn't catch more, as I saw there were a lot of fish hanging suspended 5-9 feet down over 11-12 feet of water. That's where the little fish came from... I had been hoping for larger, but was happy to see a fish come from somewhere other than shoreline or weeds.