Thread: Depth Finders

Depth Finders

Afternoon,

Can anyone suggest a quality depth finder for my 16 foot sea nymph? I know this is a saturated area of Musky equipment, and id also like to minimize costs, while also not losing much on quality. I realize this is a lofty goal.

Has anyone used a Garmin portable bundle? I'm thinking this will be the best option.

Any help is appreciated.

I am committed to Lowrance with what I have had in the past, if I was starting out now, I would go with Hummingbird looking at how it dovetails with Minnkota and Lakemaster. Garmin just does not seem to be as innovative by comparison and the prices for similar products would be close and you would be able to expand easily as typically connectors, transducers, and networking will be backward compatible to a point. Trust me, you will want to expand, cannot imagine not having a unit on the bow and at the steering wheel..

Humminbird all the way for the reasons deantre mentioned. I'm sure Mr. Heiting will chime in with the same advice!

Vote #3 for Humminbird.

I have a 17.5ft sea nymph tiller and run two Humminbirds with gps and love them. Pickup a Navionic chip if you can also.

I can't compare the brands because I've been a Humminbird guy for about ten years and haven't used the others. If you're looking for a good, dependable unit, the 'Bird is the word.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I ran Lowrance for 20+ years, this spring I made the switch to the 'Bird, and have not looked back once.

buy what you can afford ,,, if you buy the black/white version of a given locator versus the color unit ,,, you can save money and have a very informative locator