Thread: Muskie/pike fishing in Iowa

Muskie/pike fishing in Iowa

I am looking to do some muskie or pike fishing in Iowa in Late August. I am interested more in a high success rate than trophy fish. If I could catch a few keeper size pike to take home that would be a plus, but not essential. Walleye fishing would also be a plus. So far, Clear Lake, Three Mile Lake and East Okoboji have been recommended. I have a small boat with only a trolling motor, so smaller lakes, or rental facilities (with fishing boats) would also be good. Not sure if I'll be able to get a guide, but if anyone knows a good one, I'll certainly take the info.

Another lake to consider is Brushy Creek in Webster County. It is 690 acres with heavy standing timber which is great for a small boat. It has walleye and is a numbers lake for musky. DNR stocks roughly 600 10" musky every other year. There are several boat launch sites so you do have the option of pulling the boat and moving to other areas which might help with only having a trolling motor. It sees very little musky pressure from my experience. There are pike in there, but I'm guessing the population is low.

Thanks, that sounds like just the kind of place I'm looking for. A high population of pike would be nice though, simply because they're more aggressive. I live about 15 miles from a musky lake that's too warm for pike. I've spent my share of days casting for six or eight hours with nothing to show for it. If I make a 6 hour drive, I would like to catch something other than bass. But the low pressure and several launch sites sounds great.

Brushy Creek should provide you an opportunity to catch one. I haven't been fishing there much, but I have had decent success for Iowa. The last 4 trips resulted in a catch each time. Honestly I should have multi catch days each visit but I do an excellent job of losing fish The lake itself can look intimidating once you get there due to the lake depths and abundance of timber. Just a couple of suggestions, fish the windy side of the lake which is usually the east side. Spend some time in the channels around the island at the south end of the lake, there is a boat ramp on the back side of the island as well. Ignore the depth on your electronics, the fish suspend and treat each spot as if you are in 12 feet of water. Since you can literally be in 50 feet of water it can play with your head, but trust me it just doesn't matter. Both creek channels at the north end have fish, but the east one seems to be better. Lastly, if you can find areas were you can get your boat between the shore and the first line of trees you should fish. Just chuck your crankbaits, spinnerbaits, bucktails, or jerkbaits in pockets of trees or just off their edges. You will eventually and almost certainly move fish.

Lake Okoboji is another Great Lake that produces big musky. This spring the DNR had a 49 1/2 pound musky in the gill net and was released. The only problem is the lake gets a lot of pressure and ton of pleasure boats. Good luck bud

Thank you both for the suggestions, and the tips for Brushy Creek. I remember going to Okoboji for camp when I was a kid. I was on the Iowa DNR website and I noticed that there are a whole bunch of lakes in the same county as Okoboji (Dickinson). I was wondering if those might be productive, if they get less pressure and fewer boaters than the bigger lakes? They would certainly be easier in my boat.