Thread: Improving Spinner Bait Hookups

Improving Spinner Bait Hookups

The weeds are starting to get thick and I was throwing a spinner bait for the majority of the day. I went 0 for 3 and I'm thinking that there must be something I'm missing to increase my hookup percentage with spinner baits.

Any tips/advice is appreciated (yes, the hook is already razor sharp !). Thanks in advance !

I always "tweak" the main hook point on a spinner bait to the right or left & "tweak" the trailer hook point the opposite of the main hook, I believe this helps esp. when They engulf the lure crosswise in heir mouth.

I was messing with this the other week with the local Northerns. Brand X spinnerbaits I was 0 for 2 (silicone and tinsel, no curly tail), switched up to Brand Y spinnerbaits (maribou and curly tail) and was 3 for 3. Didn't put anymore thought into it, not really enough to say this or that- but interesting.

You're using trailer hooks, right?
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

Another thing that helps is when fishin a spinner bait is when You set the hook ..do it straight up..not to the side.

Try wiring your trailer hook inline. I did a piece on it in my column about a year ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photoMA31241500-0001.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	1302

I just did one too a Klack bait....here is a pic of the final product. The wire is wrapped to the shank of the front hook and also the trailer...it provides stability only as the trailer is attached to the front hook via the eye for transmiting the power of the hooksets. It keeps the trailer from flopping around, getting fouled etc. Another thing to consider is the generally too small gap on most baits...this lure shown has about a 10?/0 std hook. If you don't get around the jawbone you will not often get a solid hookup.

I have had the best luck adding a treble trailer, but it defeats the purpose of using a spinnerbait in the slop. When adding a single trailer, or not I usually let them hit and fight the impulse to immediately set the hook. I hold off maybe a second, till I feel the fish swim off, then set hard. It seems when they engulf a spinnerbait they have to turn away from you to get a good hookset.

Thanks for the advice folks !

try using a "weedless" treble hook ,, Rollie&Helens Musky Shop sells them --- jimjimjim