Thread: NW Angel in September..?

NW Angel in September..?

We normally head up end of July to LOTW, but do to the Wyoming DNR preference point system, we will be heading north the third week of September. How different or similar are the patterns and lure selection on LOTW during that time frame when compared to July/August? I'm sure it will be heavily weather dependent, like usual, but just looking for more of an idea of what to expect. Not looking for exact spots, just an overall bigger picture. Thanks, Tom.

The last time I was on LOTW in September, the water was extremely green which limited visibility and the number of fish we saw. It was a little frustrating in that unless the musky was right behind the lure you had no clue it was there, because you just couldn't see it. It was hard to have confidence in spots that looked good but where you had not seen any fish, even though they may have been there.

That said, we boated fish up to 52" and had a great trip. The muskies we saw and caught were all on rock stuff you would fish during the summer. We did not see a fish in weeds or rock/weed areas; in fact, all the weeds were dying.

So much will depend on weather. That third week of September is a transition time in Canada. If you find stable, pre-turnover conditions, the fishing could be fantastic, but you could also hit turnover. Now, with LOTW's water flow (especially this year) it's unlikely that there will be a classic turnover situation, but if it's cold you could have a very tough week. I've had some awesome fishing in Canada in September, and some trips during which we worked for every fish.

The warmer it is, the shallower the fish will be. If the water is clear you can expect to catch them on natural to bright colors, but if it's green you want to go with big baits (big profile) in high visibility, meaning bright colors or all-black or all-white. Lots of vibration can help, too. You may end up having action on everything from topwater to deep divers.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks for the advice Steve. Good to know that our usual summer locations should still be worth a good look. Most of our spots have been void of weeds for quite some time. But who knows this year. With the winter we've had this year, I'm thinking that weeds might be way down even more so. I'm surprised how many of our productive spots that were weed/rock mix, have been terrible for us without the weeds. Looking forward to getting out of our comfort zone a little going up later than we traditionally have. I'd think that a warm fall might mean more blades? With an early fall meaning more cranks/minnow baits and jerk baits? Maybe we'll even see another swimming eagle... Tom

The way this year is going you may be breaking ice 3rd week of Sept.

That just might happen... Saw on the news last night that "they" are calling for a cooler summer and early fall. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TTS View Post
    That just might happen... Saw on the news last night that "they" are calling for a cooler summer and early fall. Tom
    I'll believe it when I see it, but the one thing about weather is we cannot control it. Just adapt to the conditions and take what Ma Nature will give you. One thing I learned from teaching musky schools and from fishing tournaments is no matter how tough you think the conditions are, somebody will always figure out how to catch fish. It's always best to be the guy who does so ... today, for obvious reasons, but long term it will give you a game plan for similar conditions, thus making you a better fisherman in the future.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I hear you Steve. I used to fish bass tournaments, locally, quite a bit. Still follow all the major tours closely. Difference between first place and last place final weights usually are huge. Ask first place and last place anglers how the fishing was, and I'm sure you'd get different answers. Yet both were fishing the same body of water at the same time. SOME fish are always biting. Whenever the bite is tough, I always try to keep that in mind. Tom

I agree on the weather Steve. Most years that lake does flip through the month of Sept but like you say, with high waters and with the below avg temps it may not be as drastic. Last year in August there was a lot of green and in those areas that we did fish, bright colors worked best but LOTW is so big that you can usually find clean areas. Playing the wind helps. I have good luck fishing the rougher water on reefs when its green.
    Good Luck!!
    Last edited by bondkbond; 07-15-2014 at 02:31 PM.