Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trolling motor batteries

trolling motor batteries

Price notwithstanding, what do you guys recommend?

Optima gets My vote, make sure You have the proper charger for whatever Battery You purchase... such as if You buy an AGM make sure You have a charger which is rated for it, more batteries are ruined by IMPROPER CHARGING than by anything else, Mike.

AGM batteries get my vote. No water levels to check. Worth the money.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by piesox View Post
    AGM batteries get my vote. No water levels to check. Worth the money.
    I'm with You Man ... no more "Wet Cells" for Me! Had My Optima for 3 yrs. no problems, still strong as new.

I sure like my AGM batteries made by Deka, matched with 80 lb Terrova, I couldn't be happier.

BOB

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE.KY. View Post
    Optima gets My vote, make sure You have the proper charger for whatever Battery You purchase... such as if You buy an AGM make sure You have a charger which is rated for it, more batteries are ruined by IMPROPER CHARGING than by anything else, Mike.
    Could you expand a little more about what you mean about improper charging? I just want to make sure that I am following correct procedure. Currently I am charging my Trojans with Minn Kota's inboard charger. Thanks

I use aMinn Kota on board also, I mean use a charger that is for Deep Cycle batteries whether it is Wet Cell or AGM,if it's Wet use a charger with an automatic shut off "Smart Charger" is what they are called, if You have an AGM make sure it has AGM capabilities. I'm sure most on board charger's have these, not all portables do.Mike

P.S. more Batteries get ruined by using the wrong charger (like an automotive or trickle charger) than by anything else,Mike

Walmart, hands down. Compare the prices and longevity. I have one group 27 that I have had for 5 years now and it is still going strong. At $85, that's $17/year. Haven't looked at the Deka, but I am assuming $200+ ?? How many years service will you get out of one? 5-7? Say you get 8 years.... At $200, $25/year. I completely agree, charging has EVERYTHING to do with your battery life. Drain them no more than 50%, then as soon as possible, re-charge them correctly. You have to do a proper three stage charge. Fast to start, then taper it off finally to trickle. Here is a link to a good article. It is short and to the point. http://www.insideline.net/1996/puckett-1112-96.html Do a search on charging deep cycle batteries. Lots of good information out there, and extensive reading. Bottom line is you have to charge them properly to get them to last.

Before I bought My Optima (AGM) I used "wet-cell's", a few Wal-Mart's which are as good a "wet-cell" as there is.. never got more than 4 yrs. out of any of them. You say that You are using one thats got 5 yrs. on it.. Its on "Borrowed Time"..like Clint Eastwood said : "Do Ya' feel Lucky?". I use My Boat 10-15 times a month for 9 months of the year and I would not trust a 5 yr. old "wet-cell", if it makes it 4 yrs. "It's Done" in My opinion, same goes for the battery in My truck which is a 2009 & I had to replace the battery last Fall. I was a GM mechanic for 37 yrs & an Air Force Aircraft mechanic before that doesnt make Me a "battery genious' but i know a bit about them. Dont know if AGM is the "cure all" but so far I love it!
    Last edited by MIKE.KY.; 07-07-2014 at 01:32 PM.