Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daiwa Lexa 400 Issue

Had the same issue with my lexa 400, same model in LOW this past summer. Sent it in for repair. Like the reel a lot but you could say I was very dissappointed with it being a brand new reel. Plus. Diawa was not very helpful.

I think it was an issue with the operator not depressing the free spool down far enough. One thing you can try if it happens again rather than trying to force the thumb bar up, try pressing it all the way down. Every once in a great while on my Revo Toro, this will happen and when I press the bar down again hard, it will pop the reel into gear when I start to turn the crank.
    Last edited by muskie_nut; 10-07-2014 at 09:47 AM.

I purchased 2 of these reels this summer. A 400 HS and a 400 PW...both of them have the same issue. Contacted Diawa and there customer service rep said he was unaware of the problem. He then checked with service and came back and said they had a reel in the week prior and replaced the bar spring. He agreed to send me the parts rather than send the reel in...still waiting on the parts so we'll see but they definitely have an issue with these reels as far as I'm concerned.

Did call the reel repair shop that fixed mine. He said it was the kick lever spring and he said the spring was not pulling the kick lever over. He did not install a new spring but rather just adjusted it. Works fine now!

Quote Originally Posted by muskie_nut View Post
    I think it was an issue with the operator not depressing the free spool down far enough. One thing you can try if it happens again rather than trying to force the thumb bar up, try pressing it all the way down. Every once in a great while on my Revo Toro, this will happen and when I press the bar down again hard, it will pop the reel into gear when I start to turn the crank.
    I'd second this. I bought a 300 and 400 this spring. The 300 was a little noisy out of the gate but quieted down nicely. I've experienced similar problems the 400 and found exactly the above solution. Don't know if it;s me or a design flaw. All I know is the thumb bar depresses enough to allow a freespool cast but not enough to engage the return on the handle turn. Just depressing the thumb bar all the way allows the spool to re-engage. Just my experience.....

/m

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Hi all,

I purchased a Daiwa Lexa 400 PWR-P at the MN Muskie Expo this spring and have had something curious happening. After the lure hit the water on some of my casts I would turn the handle to engage the reel and bring the lure in and the handle would just spin. The reel would not engage by turning the handle and I would have to flip the thumb bar up manually to do so. It did this 10 times over 3-4 hours of fishing. I brought the reel in to Thorne Bros. and they didn't know what was causing it so exchanged the reel for me. Fast forward to this weekend and last weekend, and the new reel was doing the same thing. Those were the first two outings I had had with the new reel, so Thorne Bros. was nice enough to exchange that one for me too (I was and continue to be impressed with their service). They say they have not had anyone else come in with this issue.

So...My question for you is if anyone here has experienced something like this with the Lexa 400. I have loved the reel other than this problem. Is it possible that I just got two lemons? It seems unlikely, but I know stranger things have happened. I don't know whether the third one does it yet or not as I have not had a chance to take it out yet. If this is something a lot of people are experiencing but that does not seem to negatively affect any other part of the reel's function or long-term durability, I would be willing to tolerate the occasional glitch. I am just concerned that it is a symptom of an underlying problem.

I would appreciate any feedback anyone could give me.

Thanks,

Chris
    Getting towards the end of the season, and I've been using three Daiwa Lexa 300 and
    one Lexa 400 all season with no failures of any kind. My opinion is that design and quality are better than the four Revo Toro 50 and 60 reels I used the previous few years, although I was satisfied with them too.

Hey all,just got the new lexa 400 model here and i have a question about do i need put oil/grease on the magforce area??

My wife had the same problem with her Lexa 400. We found out it was a weak spring under the thumb bar. Ordered a new one and so far so good. We were also told that if she presses down hard on the bar it will experience this problem less often.