Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daiwa Lexa 400 Issue

Daiwa Lexa 400 Issue

Hi all,

I purchased a Daiwa Lexa 400 PWR-P at the MN Muskie Expo this spring and have had something curious happening. After the lure hit the water on some of my casts I would turn the handle to engage the reel and bring the lure in and the handle would just spin. The reel would not engage by turning the handle and I would have to flip the thumb bar up manually to do so. It did this 10 times over 3-4 hours of fishing. I brought the reel in to Thorne Bros. and they didn't know what was causing it so exchanged the reel for me. Fast forward to this weekend and last weekend, and the new reel was doing the same thing. Those were the first two outings I had had with the new reel, so Thorne Bros. was nice enough to exchange that one for me too (I was and continue to be impressed with their service). They say they have not had anyone else come in with this issue.

So...My question for you is if anyone here has experienced something like this with the Lexa 400. I have loved the reel other than this problem. Is it possible that I just got two lemons? It seems unlikely, but I know stranger things have happened. I don't know whether the third one does it yet or not as I have not had a chance to take it out yet. If this is something a lot of people are experiencing but that does not seem to negatively affect any other part of the reel's function or long-term durability, I would be willing to tolerate the occasional glitch. I am just concerned that it is a symptom of an underlying problem.

I would appreciate any feedback anyone could give me.

Thanks,

Chris

I have the reel but not that issue with it. On the other hand, I have had that problem on several other reels over the years (especially on the Abu Record) and it occurs with excessive wear or operator error. I have been guilty of both. Not saying that's your case, just that it was my case. Curious if your using the giant power handle and experiencing premature ejactulation (engagement) or something else. I know when I get the broken (worn) parts back from the repair guy after this happens, I'm always surprised at what a small sort of fragile part causes this.

I had the same problem with a Shimano Cardiff several years ago. I won the reel as a door prize at the National Musky Open. Unfortunately there response when I called was send it in with $ 35 and they would let me know how much it would cost to fix it. Needless to say I used the $ 35 for a different reel.

Haven't used my Lexus 400 much yet... just an hour or two of casting, but no issues so far, and my three Lexus 300's have been flawless.

i have not had any problems with the LEXA 400 but i am considering one. My SHIMANO CORSAIR and OLDER ABU are struggling with some of my bigger muskie baits.

question - i am looking at the LEXA 400 -it comes in the three gear ratios:

Power Version (PWR) is 5.1:1 and retrieves 27.1" per crank of the handle
    High-Speed Version (H) is 6.3:1 and retrieves 33.4" per crank of the handle
    Hyper-Speed Version (HS) is 7.1:1 and retrieves 37.7" per crank of the handle

i was considering the Hyper speed but i dont know if it is going to be too high gear for bigger lures. i dont use really big lures but some of them are. also, trying to a fast retieve on a double cowgirl is a lot of drag.

should i get the HYPER? or will it bog down trying to pull double cowgirls and other heavier lures?

or should i stick with the HIGH speed model?

the guya t my local muskie shop says the HYPER would work just fine even for bigger lures you just have to make sure you are not working it too fast out of the fish zone. i think he is knowledgeable - just looking for a second opinion esp. from someone who may own the HYPER SPEED or the HIGH SPEED.

Thanks.

Thanks for your input. The general consensus seems to be that no one really knows exactly what's happening then. I kind of wonder whether this is just something that we will need to wait on to see about, since the Lexa 400 is a new reel. Maybe it's some kind of glitch. It's definitely not caused by wear with mine, as they are all brand new reels. What I'm hoping is that I just got two lemons and that the new one will work. Thanks, and good fishing to all!

Chris, I had that same exact problem a few years ago with a new St. Croix reel, that I believe is the same reel as a Daiwa Luna. Jim Saric replied that it was an easy fix and suggested that I send it back to St. Croix. I did and have not had a problem with the reel since.

I haven't had a problem with mine.
    As far as gear ratio, I would go with the 6.3 to 1

Quote Originally Posted by Big54 View Post
    i have not had any problems with the LEXA 400 but i am considering one. My SHIMANO CORSAIR and OLDER ABU are struggling with some of my bigger muskie baits.

question - i am looking at the LEXA 400 -it comes in the three gear ratios:

Power Version (PWR) is 5.1:1 and retrieves 27.1" per crank of the handle
    High-Speed Version (H) is 6.3:1 and retrieves 33.4" per crank of the handle
    Hyper-Speed Version (HS) is 7.1:1 and retrieves 37.7" per crank of the handle

i was considering the Hyper speed but i dont know if it is going to be too high gear for bigger lures. i dont use really big lures but some of them are. also, trying to a fast retieve on a double cowgirl is a lot of drag.

should i get the HYPER? or will it bog down trying to pull double cowgirls and other heavier lures?

or should i stick with the HIGH speed model?

the guya t my local muskie shop says the HYPER would work just fine even for bigger lures you just have to make sure you are not working it too fast out of the fish zone. i think he is knowledgeable - just looking for a second opinion esp. from someone who may own the HYPER SPEED or the HIGH SPEED.

Thanks.
    I just recently purchesed the 6.3:1 400 and love it. I would not go with the 7.1:1 for bringing in DCG's and such. they are pretty tiring on the 6.3:1. Been out 1 time with the reel and fished 16 hours throwing a lot of DCGs and double 10s along with some gliders. The reel performed flawlessly for those 16 hours and I was able to keep on going. granted by hour 14 I was pretty much dead and the weight of the reel was enough to keep me exhausted.

Update: after using the third Lexa 400 all season after exchanging the first two, it performed flawlessly and helped me to catch several nice muskies. I could not be happier with it. It is an absolutely excellent reel. I think I got unlucky with the first two and got lemons, but this one was and is great. I see no reason why I would ever need to get a different reel.