Thread: Discussion Scenario

Discussion Scenario

You are on a week long trip on a lake you know fairly well. You are on and catching some fish the first two days catching 5. They are all small to average size for the water you are on. Do you :

1. Continue fishing that pattern and figure that the big ones will come with the numbers.

2. Break from that pattern in the hope of discovering a "big fish" pattern

3. Try and tweak the pattern that is working to see if small changes will bring bigger fish to the net.

And why ?
    Last edited by B Turg; 06-25-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Simple

I know this game, pull back from the weeds. 12-18ft inside turns are money now. Run your boat in 10-12ft of water, that is where the bigger fish are, you will get them pounding the weeds, but shorter. IQUOTE=B Turg;56922]You are on a week long trip on a lake you know fairly well. You are on and catching some fish the first two days catching 5. They are all small to average size for the water you are on. Do you :

1. Continue fishing that pattern and figure that the big ones will come with the numbers.

2. Break from that pattern in the hope of discovering a "big fish" pattern

3. Try and tweak the pattern that is working to see if small changes will bring bigger fish to the net.

And why ?[/QUOTE]

If that is the case I would first assume I am on a numbers lake and would tweak the pattern. Guessing if the big ones aren't that much bigger, perhaps they are near by or being divas.

If it was not a numbers lake I would break from that pattern, for the sake of trying it, because I already got my cheap thrills and might be able to learn something.

I would combine all three options into one.

Basically, I'd plan efficient travel routes (milk run) that would mix in a variety of "patterns" all the while enjoying the one you have going. Hopefully you will eventually identify the "pattern" you've been looking for.... whether its meets your Fun Factor or produces that trophy you've been after.

For me, the key to this puzzle is the phrase "week long trip." It cancels out any sort of day trip to my local metro waters, and even a weekend trip to Northern Wisconsin or the UP etc. (Naturally also cancels IL cuz nobody's goin there for a whole week on purpose) I could see a week on Leech too, but it's probably something like a LOTW trip if it's week. That means I'm there in hopes of a fish of a lifetime, certainly fish in the very high forties at least. So, that being the case, I'd pass on a school of dinks. Go deeper, go elsewhere, go bigger baits. I had happily caught about the 15th 24 inch pike in a musky tournament casting the cutest little jointed Live Target gill when my partner told me to quit effing around or he'd put two double-dawg trebbles in my neck.

B Turg discussion scenarios have a loose parallel to the Kobayashi Maru opening scene in the Star Trek Wrath of Khan movie.

Well, at least expand a bit for the youngsters in the crowd! The Kobayashi Maru is a test of character designed by Star Fleet Command to test the character of young cadets in a no win situation. The test is fixed so that only disaster can result for any possible choice. Only Captain James Kirk passed the test and did so by cheating. I, for one, doubt that Bturg in any way embodies the cruelty of such a dirty trick. I assume he'll chime in with a "You're Right" just as soon as one of the cadets figures this out.

Well their is truthfully no "right" answer...just your own. The point is to make everyone think a bit and consider all the what if's in fishing.

FWIW Mr Long's answer is about how I would go about things...expand what I am doing without giving up on the action in search of bigger girls.

Now the original Star Wars...that was a classic.

Now, now.. just having some fun with it, no slight or comparison to fictional characters intended. I don't know about #4 post- grand idea but "all the the above" was not an option.

WWCKD? No doubt tie up the USS Rangerprise at some uncharted island complex and seduce some hot alien chick.