Thread: High Water

High Water

Pretty much everyone has high water in the musky region. Looks like the NWO ontario opener is going to have extremely high water especially in LOTWs area. Anyone have any tips on fishing the unusually high water?

It could also be tag teamed with a mayfly hatch?? I havent done much musky fishing during a major hatch, anything different to try during this period??

Quote Originally Posted by mofferman View Post
    Pretty much everyone has high water in the musky region. Looks like the NWO ontario opener is going to have extremely high water especially in LOTWs area. Anyone have any tips on fishing the unusually high water?

It could also be tag teamed with a mayfly hatch?? I havent done much musky fishing during a major hatch, anything different to try during this period??
    I like high water years on the Woods. The fish seem to tuck into every nook and cranny along the shoreline, and pinpoint casting becomes that much more critical. I think it makes some spots much more predictable.

Re: the mayfly hatch, I'll take a warm, sticky evening with mayflies hatching anytime. Usually the smallies and everything else are feeding on the mayflies, and muskies will be right there. The last time I was up there during a mayfly hatch, my son caught a heavy 49-incher on a Suick at 10:30 at night, and about three casts before that he lost a considerably bigger fish on the same Suick. Earlier in the day he got a 44-incher from the same spot. In the meantime, I caught zip throwing bucktails. In retrospect, the diving, darting action of the Suick probably looked like a feeding fish to the muskies. I should have been throwing a big minnowbait.

Three things to consider:

1. High water may mean there are logs and big sticks floating off the shoreline, so be careful while navigating.
    2. If you fish into the night make sure you know your way to the lodge, you have a GPS, you have boat lights, you wear your PFDs, and you watch ahead of the boat rather than just looking at your electronics because of floating debris or other obstructions, like bears. (Bears feed on dead mayflies and are usually out and about.) There is a lot that can go wrong up there, especially at night.
    3. It sucks to get hit by a mayfly at 20-30 mph, so wear safety glasses while boating.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Steve,

There is considerable wisdom in your comments above. It might just be that you have some experience behind your comments. I know that I have had some close calls as you mention. It DOES suck to get smacked by a mayfly! My buddy and I came in from fishing last June, just before dark. The back of his jacket was covered with smooshed bugs. I needed windshield wipers on my glasses.

Regards....

Quote Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
    Steve,

There is considerable wisdom in your comments above. It might just be that you have some experience behind your comments. I know that I have had some close calls as you mention. It DOES suck to get smacked by a mayfly! My buddy and I came in from fishing last June, just before dark. The back of his jacket was covered with smooshed bugs. I needed windshield wipers on my glasses.

Regards....
    As I so often say, "we're not just making this stuff up!"
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    I like high water years on the Woods. The fish seem to tuck into every nook and cranny along the shoreline, and pinpoint casting becomes that much more critical. I think it makes some spots much more predictable.

Re: the mayfly hatch, I'll take a warm, sticky evening with mayflies hatching anytime. Usually the smallies and everything else are feeding on the mayflies, and muskies will be right there. The last time I was up there during a mayfly hatch, my son caught a heavy 49-incher on a Suick at 10:30 at night, and about three casts before that he lost a considerably bigger fish on the same Suick. Earlier in the day he got a 44-incher from the same spot. In the meantime, I caught zip throwing bucktails. In retrospect, the diving, darting action of the Suick probably looked like a feeding fish to the muskies. I should have been throwing a big minnowbait.

Three things to consider:

1. High water may mean there are logs and big sticks floating off the shoreline, so be careful while navigating.
    2. If you fish into the night make sure you know your way to the lodge, you have a GPS, you have boat lights, you wear your PFDs, and you watch ahead of the boat rather than just looking at your electronics because of floating debris or other obstructions, like bears. (Bears feed on dead mayflies and are usually out and about.) There is a lot that can go wrong up there, especially at night.
    3. It sucks to get hit by a mayfly at 20-30 mph, so wear safety glasses while boating.

Thanks for the tips steve. Looks like the weather is starting to get nice and the week of the opener looks even nicer. Sounds like they should be done spawning. Could make for a good opener.

http://www.lwcb.ca/

There is a press release from yesterday in the link. Not just high......super high and rising.....

"There are also reports of significant amounts of very large debris in the lake resulting from upstream erosion. Boaters should exercise great caution on Lake of the Woods." Translated, there are logs and trees floating in the lake.

Here is the release in its entirety:

MEDIA RELEASE

RECORD HIGH FLOWS IN RAINY RIVER ABOVE LAKE OF THE WOODS

June 16, 2014

The latest in a string of recent heavy rainfall events took place over the weekend in the Rainy River basin. This has resulted in the level of Rainy River, the main tributary to Lake of the Woods, rising to its highest level in 85 years of record. The water level is directly related to the rate of flow, which is exceptionally high.

The total rate of flow into Lake of the Woods is more than double the maximum rate of flow released from Lake of the Woods into the Winnipeg River through the dams in Kenora. As a result, the level of Lake of the Woods is rising quickly and is now highest since 2005. Water levels on the Winnipeg River will continue to rise gradually as the rate of outflow from Lake of the Woods increases with rising lake level. The lake level is expected to rise by nearly 30 cm (1 ft) over the next week.

The Lake of the Woods Control Board is monitoring conditions closely. Any precautions possible should be taken to protect docks and other shoreline property. Water levels will remain high and continue to rise until a prolonged period of dry weather occurs. Locally higher levels can occur due to persistent strong winds and wave action. There are also reports of significant amounts of very large debris in the lake resulting from upstream erosion. Boaters should exercise great caution on Lake of the Woods.

High water concerns also remain in the English River basin and at Lac Seul. At Lac Seul, the outflow was ordered increased today from 500 to 575 meters cubic metres per second. This flow rate will cause high water issues downstream of the dam in the Pakwash-Chukuni Lake system. The diversion that flows from Lake St Joseph will be closed on Tuesday, June 17th, reducing inflow to Lac Seul by approximately 140 cubic meters per second, roughly 15 % of the total rate of flow into Lac Seul today.

These high outflows from Lake of the Woods and Lac Seul will result in rising Winnipeg River levels in the Whiteshell in Manitoba, beginning in roughly a week. Depending on the final magnitude of the outflow increases, as well as the amount and timing of local rainfall, Nutimik Lake could rise 30 to 70 cm over the next two weeks.
    Those with shorefront property on these water bodies are encouraged to keep abreast of conditions by visiting the Board’s web site at www.lwcb.ca or by listening to its recorded message at 1-800-661-5922 ex 1.

The Lake of the Woods Control Board will be holding a public open house on Tuesday, June 17th in Kenora from 7:00-8:30 p.m. at the Best Western Lakeside Inn. Board members and staff will be available to discuss the high water situation with members of the public.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Any updates on the water levels on LOTW? Will be there in a week. Thanks

I can confirm the high water issues LOTW is having. We just returned from The Big Narrows area Saturday night. Like Steve said, as well as, the press release. We had to watch out for floating logs and sometimes full size trees. The above water ones are easy, its the somewhat water logged ones that are a foot below the surface that made us leery. Also, the rocks that are normally sticking out a a couple feet are now submerged. Take great caution. On a more positive note...the fishing was great.

Brian

Hey Steve, have you ever tried a "Danny Bait"? If not, it's a must! You'll leave that Suick at home. LOL
    Honestly, a SUPER bait! I used to live and guide in LOTW in the late 70's and 80's and have caught "hundreds" of musky and I can honestly say, 75% on the Danny Bait. I go up to LOTW every August for a week and fish with the legendary Dan Gibbins.

Wildcat, glad to here fishing was great! We fish Big Narrows a little also but that gets hit pretty hard so we try to stay off the beatin trail as much as possible. Lookin for that 60" this year! LOL any year
    Good Luck everyone!!